You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there!

In Designer, is there a way to know, quickly, if a layer is using the Transparency Tool (the wine glass)? I don't see any icon in the Layers Panel and maybe can be difficult to guess where the transparency comes from, as there are several places to check for opacity/transparency isssues:

1. At object level: fills and strokes
  2. At layer level: Opacity settings
  3. At Layer Effects level: Fill opacity
  4. At Tool level: Transparency Tool

Also, another question, what "Select->Select object->Transparent Objects" does? Always selects all of my objects, regardless if they are transparent or not.

Thank you!

19 minutes ago, javierr said:

In Designer, is there a way to know, quickly, if a layer is using the Transparency Tool (the wine glass)?

AFAIK no. - If you don't add some own layer indication naming or tagging for that, you can't tell and have to determine from the layers icon. - The same here applies for full Gradients.

24 minutes ago, javierr said:

Also, another question, what "Select->Select object->Transparent Objects" does? Always selects all of my objects, regardless if they are transparent or not.

Yes, that looks somehow to be buggy, since usually it should then only select objects of that matching type, aka transparent objects.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

44 minutes ago, javierr said:

In Designer, is there a way to know, quickly, if a layer is using the Transparency Tool

With the layer selected, select the Transparency Tool

The nodes & line of the transparency will show up in the document, if the layer has transparency

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 minute ago, carl123 said:

With the layer selected, select the Transparency Tool ...

I think the point is more to tell quickly by/with a look at the layers in the layer panel here. When I would have >200 layers what you describe to do then is pretty cumbersome to go through all layers in order to determine!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Yes, that is the idea, to check quickly in case you have a lot of layers. That is why I thought about the "Select transparent" option, but does not seem to be working (should we try to inform about this bug (if it is a bug)?)

One workaround is to select one of the objects which has Transparency Tool applied, and then "Select->Select Same->Transparency".

18 minutes ago, javierr said:

(should we try to inform about this bug (if it is a bug)?)

If it hasn't already been reported somewhere in the forums bug section so far. Or if there is already a report you can add your two cents to that then (... you have to do a search over the forum to find out).

8 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

Select Object>Transparent Objects selects all objects that have transparency.

Actually that behaves for me here (under MacOS) too more like a Cmd-a (aka select all), since it always selects all layers, even those objects which don't have any transparency applied at all.

2 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

??

As already said above, Select > Select Object > Transparent Objects selects always everything for me too here. So no matter if an object has no transparency applied at all, it will be selected too here!

4 hours ago, v_kyr said:

If it hasn't already been reported somewhere in the forums bug section so far. Or if there is already a report you can add your two cents to that then (... you have to do a search over the forum to find out).

Hi! I haven't found anything, so I created a new bug report, in case you are interested in following it: