You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.10.X crash on start in win11

Marco-G

Hey,

if I install any 1.10.x Version on my Win 11 [Version 10.0.22621.674] I see the splashscreen but at the moment when the Workspace normaly opens the Program Crash to desktop.

I try GPU accelerated enforcement and also tried forcing GPU Acceleration off. No change. Interesting if I go back to 1.9.2 it works fine without the Issue.

Attached the Crash dump.

9eb21823-2ecf-46ed-b646-059a68fd2d0a.dmp 4b9d66bc-5846-4950-bf65-390a65495264.dmp

• Staff

Hi @Marco-G,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

I'd like to request a few more files in order to confirm the exact cause of this, can you please:

1. Open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) and type the following - eventvwr
2. In the window that opens, select the Windows Logs drop-down list on the left and then Applications
3. With the Applications logs selected, navigate to the right side of the window and select Save All Events As... and save them as .evtx (the default option).
4. Attach this saved file to your reply here.

Secondly, please open Windows Settings and select Update & Security, then View Update History - with this open, please take a screenshot and attach this here for me also.

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Many thanks for providing these for me! I can see in your Windows Update history that you have the KB5017271 update installed, which is known to be causing crashing within the Affinity apps currently.

Please see the below FAQ for more information here, and how to remove the update from your PC to stop this crashing:

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

8 hours ago, KrystianK said:

I can't uninstal i need to work now

Talk to your companies IT section and get them to uninstall the update.

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

On 10/24/2022 at 11:28 AM, KrystianK said:

I can't uninstal i need to work now

Posting the same question over and over isn't helping us to help you.

Why can't you uninstall? Marco-G says because it's a company computer. Is that you're reason also? If so, then what AiDon posted is what you need to do.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• Staff

Hi @KrystianK,

If your application is crashing when creating a new document, this would usually indicate an issue with the Affinity app communicating with your GPU - therefore I'd recommend visiting the manufacturers website for your GPU & downloading the latest driver version available.

Install this driver, then restart your PC and try opening a new document in Affinity once more.

If this still crashes and don't wish to / are unable to uninstall the Windows update, please see this post where a workaround is suggested, although this is untested by Serif and isn't directly supported due to this. We only recommend this option if you are comfortable editing the config file for your apps.

I hope this helps!

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

I recommend updating your 3060 drivers, directly from Nvidias website to ensure you have the latest version available - as crashes when creating a file are usually caused by outdated drivers :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for trying that for me and I'm sorry to hear updating hasn't helped.

Can you please open the Affinity app, then navigate to Edit > Preferences > Performance and provide a screenshot of your settings here for me?

Many thanks once again :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff
2 hours ago, Kranitoko said:

I'm finding I have a similar issue where Photo just crashes on start up. Following the above, the update numbers you provide for Windows 11 are not the same as the ones I have in this location.

Mine are KB2565063

KB5016717

KB5019766

KB5019765

Welcome to the Forums @Kranitoko :)

Searching the web for these KB values, they appear to be Windows Insider development/beta versions - indicating you're not currently on the stable/release channel for Windows 11.

I recommend switching to the release channel, which will likely install the updates listed in the above FAQ, which can then be removed temporarily whilst we wait for a fix from Microsoft.

17 minutes ago, KrystianK said:

Yes this is ..

Zrzut ekranu 2022-10-27 145837.png

Many thanks for providing that for me! Can you please try unticking Hardware Acceleration at the bottom of this dialog, then restart the app as prompted and try opening your image once again?

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thank you for trying that for me - I'd like to request a copy of your Event Viewer log file, as this should hopefully contain more information as to the exact cause of this. Can you please:

1. Open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) and type the following - eventvwr
2. In the window that opens, select the Windows Logs drop-down list on the left and then Applications
3. With the Applications logs selected, navigate to the right side of the window and select Save All Events As... and save them as .evtx (the default option).
4. Attach this saved file to your reply here.

Many thanks for your continued patience and understanding here :)

Please note -

Many thanks!