You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello, hopefully you can point in a direction to explain this problem before I rip the ears off my computer bloke. Very few if any "experts" out here in the australian bush know too much a P/shop so it's far to say they know a lot less about Affinity photo ; or ever heard of it !.
Not working on massive files -- most under 500mb and most far less than that .
the number of layers and the number of opened files doesn't seem to make a lot difference but I guess it has some effect .
Affinity Photo ; Win10 PC with 16gb of RAM ; SSD (93.9 Gb free of 222gb) plus another hard drive for storage (395gb of 894) according windows .
The bigger drama seems to be with the brush effect  trailing along way behind the brush and even stopping the program to catch up .
Using a basic round brush -- various hardness and sizes but mostly 100% opacity --- basically using as I have always done with LR
It has been slowly getting slower
Opening JPG files from Lr5 and usually saving back the Lr5 as a flattened jpg file
Maybe I missing something in the brush settings that I very seldom change --- Affinity brushes and brushing seem so complicated --- read useless . Sorry 

Do you have an answer ? Need more information ? How do I explain it to the computer bloke ?
Cheers, thanks for at least reading

• Staff

Hi ianrb,

A few questions about your images/system...

What are the dimensions of the images you are working on?

Would it be possible to upload a sample of a document that is slow for you to this link? https://www.dropbox.com/request/aRtjcsgjkd7AM6rhi7Wo

Which processor and graphics card does your machine have, do you have Hardware Acceleration turned on?  (Edit > Preferences > Performance>) and is your graphics card selected as your Renderer?

Lee

15 hours ago, LeeThorpe said:

Hi ianrb,

A few questions about your images/system...

What are the dimensions of the images you are working on?

Would it be possible to upload a sample of a document that is slow for you to this link? https://www.dropbox.com/request/aRtjcsgjkd7AM6rhi7Wo

Which processor and graphics card does your machine have, do you have Hardware Acceleration turned on?  (Edit > Preferences > Performance>) and is your graphics card selected as your Renderer?

Lee

Thank you Lee

I use ORF (DNG) > from Lr5 to Af -- 3888 x 5185 / 17.2 mb (19.5x16.2 inches) >usually resized to 11x14 inch at 240 ppi (sorry pixel size means very little to me) before any editing . If saved as AF PHOTO files  most are under 100mb and many under 50 mb
Have a sent file via dropbox . Brush was lagging behind before any layers where added . The edit is about as much as I usually with a single file
Graphics card NVDIA GeForce GTX 570 [see SS
Hard ware acceleration -- using firefox -- best I can find SS (??
Cheers

Affinity ss.jpg

Affinity ss 2.jpg

1 minute ago, RichardMH said:

Are you using a tablet (e.g. wacom) or just the mouse?

Wabcom in right hand + mouse in left hand
Changing Retina rendering to high made no difference --- perhaps brush is lacking behind more

47 minutes ago, ianrb said:

Wabcom in right hand + mouse in left hand
Changing Retina rendering to high made no difference --- perhaps brush is lacking behind more

Brushwork lag seems to have a lot more to do with CPU in my experience, even with GPU acceleration enabled and a 3080. I still experience it depending on the brush. Things like "wet" features really make it worse. I've adjusted to not drawing quickly in this program and instead focused on mark-making/inking-type illustrations.

Does it vary by brush for you and does it get better if you reduce the size? Brush engine in Affinity can be sluggish in comparison to other programs depending on the brush. Where GPU seems to help is (maybe) brush preview and screen updates. As such, I don't use Photo for heavily rendered illustrations that require tons of blending and fast movement. I just ran tests on two (technically 3) CPUs. One high end CPU from last gen and then a step below current gen flagship... the difference in brush engine responsiveness was noticeable with the CPU leaps.

Retina rendering>[High] only helps if your screen is not updating quick enough on [Automatic], which causes a blur even on higher end CPUs. Can you restart your machine fresh and run the benchmark in About > Benchmark and then copy & paste here. I would start there.

1 hour ago, RichardMH said:

Do you have "Use Windows Ink" on in the Wacom tablet properties? And is your Wacom driver up to date?

"windows ink" -- what the hell is that I ask as I start to google yet another thing that perhaps should be set differently .
"Brush engine in Affinity can be sluggish in comparison t ......................... " yeah; that is what I feel is the problem and the problem all along :(

The be honest Lee; all this maybe stuff is starting to do my head in . Surely in 2022 or even 2016, basic brushing , mostly dodge and burn sort of stuff with a basic round brush (like old Lightroom 5 brush) should not be that hard or complicated. I don't use, or perhaps cannot use any on the buttons on the Wacom table .
I don't seem to have any of the brushing dramas in Lr5 where I use the (smart) adjustment brush a lot --it's  nothing to have 10 or more pins on a photo + plus several grad tool adjustments that are so much easier/simpler then PHOTO and PS grad tool !. In fact I penned this one liner years ago --  "consider the adjustment brush like your best friend as a best friend can, and will do so much for you"
Yes ; the "left behind" frustrations are really starting to take hold so time for a break ; perhaps do some more testing and perhaps chat later with a clearer mind Lee .

[ way off topic : ''Maybe stuff'' and guessing has cost me Au$12,000 over 15 months as "mechanics" try and have failed to fix a driveline noise in my 4x4 vehicle ]

Another question please (and rant) How do I see how much ram is being actually being used ? I have seen something in the past but  however I find google becoming more and more useless because of all the rubbish that now jumps up that is so often far more removed from anything like the original question
There seems to be something (related to Affinity) bogging the works down

PS Thanks for your held Richard, Deb, and Lee , Haven't done much more about the brush problem -- just a case of battling on and screaming atm but I will read all input again to see what I may have missed . Surely; such simple small 14x14 / 3360 x 3360px can't be this hard

A little of the flooded murray river water that is causing lots of dramas at the moment -- more often big fires, big droughts, and big floods ; things are just not right!!

Riverside hwl 22 1022  14-1-1-1 w.jpg

=

On 10/21/2022 at 4:53 PM, debraspicher said:

Retina rendering>[High] only helps if your screen is not updating quick enough on [Automatic], which causes a blur even on higher end CPUs. Can you restart your machine fresh and run the benchmark in About > Benchmark and then copy & paste here? I would start there.

I posted this before, but seems it was missed. I forgot a question mark so I'm sure that didn't help... this benchmark is specific to Photo and will let us know what should be realistic for your situation. (Edit: More accurate statement)

RAM usage can be found by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del, clicking "Task Manager"... and it is under the Performance tab on the left:

image.png.1c917066f8e3c60937ddcd51c6f08d2f.png

40 minutes ago, RichardMH said:

Thought it might be wet where you are. I'm in Melbourne, a long way away from any river. 

certain wetter than normal but then Mildura is a drier part of Aus (300mm apy). Most of the bad/damaging flooding seems to be more from smaller rivers than the bigger Murray . Likely to be more of an inconvenience flooding while the flood plains get a much needed drink

The flood plain is activated at Apex park 😀

Riverside hwl 22 1022  26 w.jpg

56 minutes ago, debraspicher said:

=

I posted this before, but seems it was missed. I forgot a question mark so I'm sure that didn't help... this benchmark is specific to Photo and will let us know what should be realistic for your situation. (Edit: More accurate statement)

RAM usage can be found by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del, clicking "Task Manager"... and it is under the Performance tab on the left:

image.png.1c917066f8e3c60937ddcd51c6f08d2f.png

Many thanks for -- saved for later .