You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo - Simultaneous Selections from Curves Q

I've made about 8 curve layers via the Pen Tool that I wish to convert to selections. These selections should all be active simultaneously (like adding selections via the lasso tool). The selections are discontinuous over several parts of my image. I can't quite figure out how to make this happen. I can convert each curve to a selection, but that only happens one at a time and as soon as I convert the next curve, the previous one deselects. Is there a way to do this such that all the converted curves are active at the same time (have the marching ants around them)?

Thanks very much.

Mac Studio, Monterey (latest version) / 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD Storage / Wacom Cintiq 24 Pro (latest drivers) / Affinity Photo & Designer v 1.10.5

https://glennsart.myportfolio.com

Make the curves, use them to make a selection, save that selection as a Spare Channel. Then once the curves are all saved as spare channels use them to Add to Selection.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

@prophet - thanks, I'll give this a try (this is the 3rd time I've tried to post a reply - not sure why they aren't showing up) .

Mac Studio, Monterey (latest version) / 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD Storage / Wacom Cintiq 24 Pro (latest drivers) / Affinity Photo & Designer v 1.10.5

Been messing about a bit and find that if I group the curves I can select the Group and use that to get a selection from Select > Selection from Layer.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

Ok, found the solution. It was kind of a mixture of the ideas here. I merged the curves using the Geometry option @prophet suggested. Then I simply clicked on the Pen Tool and the Selection option became active on the Options bar. That did the trick. I did try grouping them as @Old Bruce suggested but it didn't work. Even after clicking on the Pen Tool, the Selection option never became active. 

So, I'll file this little bit of info away and continue with my project. Thanks a bunch people :) . 

53 minutes ago, Glennsart said:

I did try grouping them as @Old Bruce suggested but it didn't work. Even after clicking on the Pen Tool, the Selection option never became active. 

I was using the menu

1961226681_ScreenShot2022-10-19at10_44_03AM.png.c1540404b8486c1e2b6291b56c9ce87c.png

@Old Bruce Yes, I did try from the Menu as well, but no luck. Perhaps it was the layer structure, I'm not really sure. Thanks though - good thought.

Hold down the CMND key when clicking on the first curve's thumbnail.
Then hold Shift & CMND as you click on each subsequent thumbnail.
(in Designer you need to be in Pixel Persona)

Edit: and FYI, keep in mind that the pixel selections reflect the transparency values of the curve layers. Color/fill/stroke transparency that is, not layer transparency.

2 hours ago, JimmyJack said:

Hold down the CMND key when clicking on the first curve's thumbnail.
Then hold Shift & CMND as you click on each subsequent thumbnail.
(in Designer you need to be in Pixel Persona)

Edit: and FYI, keep in mind that the pixel selections reflect the transparency values of the curve layers. Color/fill/stroke transparency that is, not layer transparency.

Ok, so that does select each curves layer, but I don't see where I can make selections from that, unless I do as prophet suggested, going through the Geometry option. Selecting the layers isn't an issue. It's making selections from the vectors that were drawn out using the Pen Tool, where one has several vector layers to be made into selections at the same time (i.e. in my example, 8 selections showing at the same time). I did try out your suggestion and yes, that selected all the curve layers, but there were no options to turn those all into selections at the same time. Am I missing something here?

24 minutes ago, Glennsart said:

Ok, so that does select each curves layer, but I don't see where I can make selections from that, unless I do as prophet suggested, going through the Geometry option. Selecting the layers isn't an issue. It's making selections from the vectors that were drawn out using the Pen Tool, where one has several vector layers to be made into selections at the same time (i.e. in my example, 8 selections showing at the same time). I did try out your suggestion and yes, that selected all the curve layers, but there were no options to turn those all into selections at the same time. Am I missing something here?

Are you CMD (and then shift cmd) clicking on the thumbnail?
(remember in Designer u must be in Pixel mode)

Ahhh yes, I see what you're getting at. That does work if I have a fill in those curves. However, without that, no, it's not working. The curves are closed, but not filled. In my graphic, the curves and subsequent selections contain windows in a house that will have lights shining through them from the inside, so a fill doesn't work for these. I'm not quite sure how the program differentiates between the fill and non-filled curves, but it does seem to. Good idea though, and yeah, it should work, but alas... . Many thanks :) .

14 minutes ago, Glennsart said:

That does work if I have a fill in those curves. However, without that, no, it's not working. The curves are closed, but not filled.

Yeah, that's why I mentioned this part:

3 hours ago, JimmyJack said:

So, no fill = no selection. 
Only advice there is to give them a temp fill.... but that could get messy. 
C'est la vie

I suspect t could get messy as you suggest. However prophet’s idea works very well, and it’s quick and easy, so we’re mostly good. Unfortunately it also bakes in some other clipped layers as well, so we’re still not quite there with it, but I’m a lot further ahead than I was before. Either way, I really appreciate yours and the others input. It helped a lot 👍. Many thanks.