You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher seems to be corrupting files and crashing

I've been working with a book file with 100 pages and have had no problems with the file for several weeks. But today, when I delete any page, the program crashes.  I created a file with only 20 pages and have the same problem.  Also, sometimes when I try to duplicate a page, it crashes.  The most recent update was installed. So I uninstalled the program, downloaded a new one, reinstalled.  Same result. 

I've tried with 3 different files.  Same result.  The program seems to be ok with smaller documents but when they have ~20 or more pages the problem occurs.

Please advise!

test book.afpub

• Staff

Hi Blue sailing,

Are you using Windows and have you recently installed a new Windows update? If so then you may be being affected by the following known issue

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Thanks Callum! That fixed the problem very easily.  However, the instructions gave this link https://pureinfotech.com/show-hide-updates-windows-11/  to use, I assume, to block future updates of Windows 11.  Those instructions were not clear, and also were for Win 11, not Win 10.  Just wondering if I am ok without doing that last step!

4 hours ago, BlueSailing said:

Those instructions were not clear, and also were for Win 11, not Win 10. 

They work for Win 10, too 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

21 hours ago, BlueSailing said:

Just wondering if I am ok without doing that last step!

Without doing that last step it's possible the KB number you removed will be reinstalled the next time your computer does any Microsoft updates

But it's also possible that a later KB number can/will also be installed on your computer which causes the exact same problem. Unfortunately, you just have to keep an eye out for them and deal with them as you did with this one.

Alternatively, you can pause all updates for one to a few weeks to see if Microsoft (or Serif) can come up with a fix/patch for this issue

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.