You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Beta 1.4.1 Build 2 installtation problem (clash with AppStore)

Hello!

I just downloaded the latest AP Beta 1.4.1 Build 2 and was not able to install it because of a clash with my installed AP 1.4 from AppStore.

I'm now have 3 different AP versions installed ie. 1.3.5 / 1.4 / 1.4.1 and I keep switching between the two first versions depending on my needs or what is working or what is not.

In 1.3.5 and 1.4 the ProPhoto icc could not be used. Supposed to be fixed in 1.4.1 but cannot be verified because of installation problem

Exporting PS files from 1.4 does not work (I have signaled that before without any answer or solution). It's ok with 1.3.5?!

Attached is the screen I get when I try to install the 1.4.1 Beta

Can you help me?

Best regards

Jorma

post-23122-0-73745500-1452288858_thumb.png

i suspect it is related to version 1.3.5, since 1.4.1 betas expect to find version 1.4 from apple store and not previous versions.

to verify this, you can momentarily trash the 1.3.5 file and see if the beta installs correctly.

take care,

stefano

Hi barninga

I removed the 1.3.5 version from the Programs folder and made sure there are no previous betas. My AppStore licensed 1.4 and the new beta 1.4.1 version 2 are now both in the Programs folder. I previously had them in their own respective folders under the Programs folder.

No help, I still get the warning that a AppStore bought version is required and I get directed to the AppSore where it shows that 1.4 has been istalled.

What can I do next?

I've noticed in a separated discussion that my problem is shared my many others who have not received a good answer. It was also mentioned in that discussion that the previous beta 1.4.1 version 1 did not work and that the latest version should be downloaded from the link provided which I then used to load and install my 1.4.1 build 2.

So, there is still help needed.

Regards

Jorma

the only further suggestion i can give at present is to remove the preference files, but this can be very annoying if you spent lots of time customizing options and interface.

if you think you want to try, follow these steps:

- make sure affinity photo is not running

- trash all of the com.seriflabs.* files in the Library/Preferences folder in your home folder

- run and close 1.4

- run 1.4.1 beta

hope this helps

take care,

stefano

Hello barninga...

and possibly someone else who could be of help for me.

I looked into the Library/Preferences files and found only one com.serif* file named "com.seriflabs.affinityphoto.LSSharedFileList.plist".

So I removed it into trash, emptied it and relaunched AP with the same result as before. AP does not launch.

Then I powered up my Macbook Pro and loaded the 1.4.1 build 2 and installed it.

When I launched the AP it took a really long time to check it until came the notice that this software has been loaded from Internet would you like to etc, etc. I clicked Yes and again it took ages for the AP to launch, but launch it did!

Encouraged I went back to my iMac and removed all previous AP versions except the AppStore licensed 1.4. My idea being that perhaps yesterday something went wrong with the downloading. No change, the message that a AppStore 1.4 version would be needed.

Then I reinstalled the Beta again (I've lost the track as to how many times I did it) and ran the CleanMy Mac software in order to get rid of possible "development junc" and all the cache files. Still no change! I've also tried to reboot my iMac.

I'm at the loss as to what should/could I do now!? Perhaps just wait for the next version downloadable from AppStore.

I cannot avoid the thought that there is a communication error (or lack of communication) between Affinity Serif and Apple and they shoud both sort this out.

I'd like to hear if and how others have solved this.

Regards

Jorma

P.S. There is one positive thing though;

On my Macbook I was able to check if finally I could use ProPhoto colour space as my default working colour space. The answer in YES. Good!

have you tried trashing the 1.4 and its seriflabs preference files on the imac, downloading it from the app store, launching, closing and then downloading the beta, reinstalling and running?

nothing scientific in this procedure, but it is an attempt to restart from a clean situation.

take care,

stefano

Hi Stefano

After deleting the AP 1.4 (there were no com.sherif files) I tried to redownload my previously purchased AP but AppStore shows me that I already have it installed and does not allow redownloading/reinstalling.

I rebooted my iMac and opened AppStore again with the same result. When I switch to see my purchased softwares and click Affinity I am redirected to the AppStore's Affinity presentation page where again it shows that I have already that software. So no reloading possible.

This does not bode well for the future I'm afraid. There may be problems ahead when I'll try to load future updates.

All I can do now is to reinstall my AP 1.4 backup copy but the problem with that Beta version remains the same.

Something may have gone wrong with my AppStore account. I'll try to sign in and see what the status is there.

Shoud you have any other ideas, I'd be interested to hear them and if you have the patience.

regards

Jorma

checking your apples store account's status looks like a good idea.

i personally tried trashing my ap installed versione and as soon i reopened the apple store app it offered me to download the app. i also know about other users that followed these steps and could download the software again.

take care,

stefano

Stefano

No such luck for me. I used the Time Machine to restore my iMac to the stade at 19:00 yesterday evening without any Affinity Photo versions installed. Then I opened AppStore and it shows that AP is installed and there's no dowloading possible. This is extreemely stange as I had no AP version installed in my Programs folder. There's something seriously wrong with my Mac and the AppStore connection.

I noticed something strange when I was downloading the Beta from Affinity Serif and also when copying the software to the Programs folder on my HD.

It was extremely slow. Something like les than 1 Mb/s to perhaps 1 Mb/s. I wonder if the AppStore software running in backgroung is monitoring constantly what is going on and in case there are conflicts it slows down the process.

Later when I copied my AP from the backup folder to the Program folder it went quickly. I cannot see any other reason than that something was going on in the background.

I sent a message to Apple iTunes but my hopes are not high as the space to describe the problem was ridiculously small, so that I was not able to get a message I wanted to get through to them. I'm getting a bit frustrated.

And I wonder also why the Affinity developers or official support staff are so quiet about this. No comments from their part. I'd like to hear their opinions too.

I'm running the the same OS version on both Macs so that cannot be reason for the problems.

One last thought and question; would there be any sense in copying the AP from my Macbook to my iMac.

regards

Jorma

considered that the license covers 5 macs (if i remember correctly) and you are using the same apple id on both your macs, by copying ap from the macbook to the imac you should not be infringing affinity's copyright, so it should be allowed. i don't know if it can work, though.

take care,

stefano

Just a thought, do you have any anti virus program running? 

Did you try to log out of app store and log in again... maybe restart your machine in the meantime?

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Chère Madame, oui !

yes I have a virus protection and also a VPN software running but neither of them has previously caused any problems. However, it's a good thought and I'll check on it. You never know...

I'm not exactly sure of what You mean by logging in or out of AppStore as to my understanding there is no similar logging functions as with iPad for instance where on can really log in with the Apple Account Id. On my iMac I've just launched or quit the AppStore and that I've done many, many times in this progress without any effect. I've also restarted the Mac several times without any help. Perhaps I've forgotten how to access the Apple account? Sometimes my memory makes me tricks.

Affinity Photo shows in the list of my purchased programs and it is labeled as "installed" even if I've deleted the software. Previously when I've deleted something I had purchased I could reload it but now it is not possible. To me that indicates that AppStore is NOT really checking what is the real status with my Mac but relys on history.

And I still do not understand why was it possible to install the Beta on my Macbook Pro.

There cannot be any licencing problems as I am allowed to install software with the same Apple ID on several Macs.

Well, it's the apple account you use to log in and out of App store.

You find the account on the right side under the banner when you are on the opening screen.

I wonder about one thing, when I browse the app store, under Affinity it says "open", not "download".

I have contacted App Store before, and they are very helpful and forthcoming.
If you don't get it right let's hope they can help you.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

vieuxjeux, you CAN log out of the Mac App Store. It's in the menubar at the top left. Here is a screen capture:

post-13400-0-75471700-1452374242_thumb.png

And I agree with Madame, if the logging out and logging back in changes nothing, contact the folks at the Mac App Store so they can sort this out at their end.

Affinity Designer 1.6

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Canon EOS 50D

iMac 27" 3,4 GHz Intel Core i7 32 GB RAM

Ah! Yes barninga! I read that Apple changed something this summer or fall in the app store, something to do with licence keys or tokens (?) and it brought in a lot of problems. Some coder at Apple made a mistake somewhere.

Affinity Designer 1.6

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Canon EOS 50D

By the way, I just made a quick search and fell upon this 1Password forum post that mentions some problem with reinstalling the app that was bought from the Mac App Store. I think you can adapt it to your reinstall problem:

Licence Key info Incorrect & App Store Update Issue

They do mention in there to report the problem to Apple using this link.

Good luck, I hope this fixes it for you guys!

Affinity Designer 1.6

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Canon EOS 50D

Not sure if this didn't change the way the downloads interact with the user. If I were you, I would try the logging out, logging back into your Mac App Store user account and if you still can't reinstall the trashed AP software, report the problem to the second link I gave in my previous post.

Affinity Designer 1.6

Affinity Photo 1.6.6

Canon EOS 50D

thanks, i will report the problem, since i have already tried the logout/login bit (btw, the apple store app was telling me that i was logged in, but it was not showing the updates, since i was not logged in - there's something wrong with the store, after all)

take care,

stefano

Hello Madame, barninga and MacGueurle

I'm sorry to see that You, barninga have now joined me in the same boat.

I took your advice on how to log in/out of AppStore. Curiously enough I haven't had a need to do that before on my iMac. It has been more of a routine on iPad.

So, back to the point. I was not logged into my count while I was having these problems. I then logged in and out with no positive result. AppStore shows that I have AP installed, and as I said before, even if it wasn't installed. This indicates to me that the problem is at Apple's end.

I reported the problem to Apple using the link provided by MacGueurle and am waiting what happens next.

A good thing is that this hassle does not prevent using the AP but it may cause problems when there will be available the released version 1.4.x. I wander if it will be possible to download that update from AppStore.

I will also keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

This may not have anything to do with the problem in question but I have received 2 or 3 times an e-mail from Apple (or "Apple", I cannot be sure) saying that I have a problem with my Apple ID and that I should verify it by clicking a link. I attache a screen capture below.

As a suspicious person I've done nothing and I've been able to get new purchases.

Thank You all for your help sofar.

Regards

vieuxjeux

post-23122-0-07505300-1452427235_thumb.png

lucky me, i (still) have no problems in using both the release and beta of ap.

what misplaced me is that, for me too, trashing an installed app does not enables me to download again from the store, while i am quite sure it has been different in the past. what if an app on our disk gets lost? must we pay again? from what i can see, neither this is an option at present. 

please let us know what apple will answer.

take care,

stefano