You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.4.1 - Beta 2)

• Staff

Purpose: Fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not submitted

Download: Here

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

This is an Incremental Bug-Fix release - it should be considered more stable than the current MAS version (1.4) and should be used in preference to that build, if you are experiencing any of the problems listed below.

Fixes

- Added 'Clip to Canvas' toggle to the View menu - turn it off to see the pasteboard contents

- Eliminated flicker seen on Artboard documents

- Fix for random crash when using PNG file export

- Fix for documents showing incorrect pixel previews when the document DPI itself is set to the @2x or @3x DPI

- Don't limit the extents to which the user can pan the document when in an artboard document

- Text improvements (leading, justification and Paragraph panel improvements)

- Fix for certain text shortcuts not appearing in the customisable list for keyboard shortcuts

- Fix for PDF export failing when the document included specific dash patterns (usually imported from AI/PDF source files)

- Numerous PDF import fixes

- Numerous vector export fixes (PDF, SVG, etc)

- Fix for logic relating to copy/paste of layers and Artboards

- Fix for spelling languages failing to display correctly

- Fix for TGA files coming in flipped sometimes

- Fix for incorrect application of adjustments with blend modes

- Fix for snapping gutters not working if one was set to zero

- Fix for moving views between retina/non-retina screens not updating whether a retina draw was required for that view or not

- Added missing keyboard shortcut for switching between views

- Disable 'save' menu item for documents which have not been modified or cannot be saved

(Fixes from 1.4.1 Beta 1)...

- Fixed crashes when loading a document which has been saved in Quick Mask mode.

- Fixed crashes when using documents in the ProPhoto colour space in Mac OS X 10.9.5.
- Fixed stroke clipping / invalidation issues.
- Fixed crashes when loading documents saved with “Delete Slices” history items.
- Fixed weird zombie-open-dialog when starting the app.
- Fixed crashes when using calibrated monitor profiles with high-accuracy LUTs.
- Fixed layer “Expand” buttons disappearing in Mac OS X 10.8.

Good update. I'm still receiving a fairly significant issue when dragging shape bounds with children and "lock children" turned on—often resizing the parent object is still making child layers pop wildly around at random, hiding/squishing/resizing them at times as well.

Does this also solve that, when you copy and paste an Artboard, it is pasted within the copied Artboard?

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

Added 'Clip to Canvas' toggle to the View menu - turn it off to see the pasteboard contents …

So we got a pasteboard now … thanks so much …  :D

Now, what about (a.) making Clip to Canvas an application-wide setting, independent of documents, and (b.) making the background grey level slider also affect the pasteboard area when artboards are present?  :)

Where Alex?!

post-1105-0-07148900-1452354939_thumb.png

Added 'Clip to Canvas' toggle to the View menu - turn it off to see the pasteboard contents …

So we got a pasteboard now … thanks so much …  :D

Now, what about (a.) making Clip to Canvas an application-wide setting, independent of documents, and (b.) making the background grey level slider also affect the pasteboard area when artboards are present?  :)

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

I'm waiting for the MAS version to be updated before I upgrade production machine. Still running 1.3.5 and playing around with the latest Beta.  You do not get the Clip to Canvas option(even when running the latest Beta) unless MAS v1.4 is installed.  

I'm waiting for the MAS version to be updated before I upgrade production machine. Still running 1.3.5 and playing around with the latest Beta.  You do not get the Clip to Canvas option(even when running the latest Beta) unless MAS v1.4 is installed.  

Signguy,

I'm still using Designer 1.2.1 and I also download and play around with the betas and the the "Clip to Canvas" option is there even though I don't have the MAS v1.4 installed. 

Hokusai

Where Miguel?

post-1105-0-46200400-1452400609_thumb.png

Hi ronnyb,

Go to menu View ▸ View Mode ▸ Clip to Canvas, or press "\".

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

I'm still using Designer 1.2.1 and I also download and play around with the betas and the the "Clip to Canvas" option is there even though I don't have the MAS v1.4 installed. 

Hokusai

That's weird.  Some of us have it and some of us don't.  I'll try to re-download.  I already reset everything but it didn't make a difference.  Why the differences?

Re-downloading didn't make a difference.  It's clearly not there for some users.

Got it!  Had to remove the com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner.beta folder housed in ~/Library/Containers directory.  Once I deleted the folder it worked.

Clipping Canvas magically disappeared again.  Looks like it needs work still.

post-4966-0-07982600-1452404476_thumb.png

I'm noticing some screen drag in the new beta compared to the 1.4 mas version on a single page setup and a 2 artboard setup.

1.4 is smooth compared to some jittery-ness of the 1.41-2 beta.

Edit: I've also noticed when zooming in and out that the view wants to snap to "fit in window" or "actual size"...

I'm wondering why the change to a light grey background when in artboard setup compared to a single page? Why not just keep the same grey background. I'm finding the light grey a little jarring on the eyes.

Is there a reason for different levels of grey between these 2 setups? If it's for differentiation, I think anytime there's more than one page in the document it would be obvious you're in artboard mode. Or can we have a tint slider to adjust the light grey?... I guess I'm wondering why there is a difference at all between the two. Why isn't the default just a single "artboard" with the option to add more if desired and an adjustable background (pasteboard) tint/colour...?

That's something I don't really understand. What are the advantages of working in single page mode? For anyone that doesn't want to use the pasteboard area, the simplest solution is not to place anything in it. Having a 'single page' mode and a 'artboard' mode is confusing.

The only thing that really changes, currently, is the pasteboard color. So I think that it will by far more logical to open everything, even new documents, with the pasteboard enabled (there's no single page, it must be a single artboard), but with the option to change the background color.

Anyway, I must report the same 'clip to canvas' issue: there's no such option for me in the beta.

Congratulations for the work, however!

Maybe move all the Studio panels from the View menu to the Window menu... 

I have always thought that the view menu was extremely long. It would be helpful if there was a way to cut that in half by reassigning some menu items to different places. I haven't taken the time to figure how that would be done.

Nothing.... I tried Reseting using the default options after launching and holding the Ctrl key...

Hi ronnyb,

Try to reset the app. and check again. Still nothing?

attachicon.gifclip_to_canvas.jpg

• Staff

I'm noticing some screen drag in the new beta compared to the 1.4 mas version on a single page setup and a 2 artboard setup.

1.4 is smooth compared to some jittery-ness of the 1.41-2 beta.

Edit: I've also noticed when zooming in and out that the view wants to snap to "fit in window" or "actual size"...

Hi retrograde,

Would you be able to remind me what your system specs are? In particular, what CPU and graphics you have?

Thanks! :)

Matt

Hello everyone,

I still have an issue using diacritic (running OS X 10.8.5). Whenever I try to select letters and use INVALID option from text menu, nothing happened-it goes back to another option from menu. Letters are always undelined. It is quite tricky to play with text like this.

Thanks

Jan

post-15944-0-49671400-1452513108_thumb.jpg

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.