You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please create an undo and redo button

Yes, it is (right click on it).

No, it is not! What you mean is the toolbar.

I'm just curious to know why a button would be easier to use than a shortcut?

4 injured people, 4 people using a touchscreen/Modbook …

Well, the history is already the solution.

No, it is not! What you mean is the toolbar.

Ah, I see, you're right! But the option is already there, so what's missing is an undo/redo option for the TOOLBAR  :D 

4 injured people, 4 people using a touchscreen/Modbook …

Well, the history is already the solution.

I'm not really convinced, but hey, if some people need this, why not offer an option  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Oval,

Thanks for helping me to see things differently (and in a good way). Until you mentioned people who might have injuries/disabilities I had never thought about it. I thought an undo/redo button seems rather amateurish but for people with accessibility issues, they might require one. I think you are right though, the history palette should suffice. If they "have to have" a redo/undo button, all they need to do is to make sure to have the History palette open and then they can click on it, easy-peasy. I think most people simply use the shortcut. 

Hokusai

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I would also like the option to have Undo/Redo buttons on the toolbar.

As a Windows user, I have a number of other applications (word processing, to name but one) which need me to review changes to a document/file/spreadsheet/whatever. I may then need to reverse (Undo) an edit, and a toolbar button allows me to do this quickly and easily with one mouse action (rather than combinations of keyboard keys or pulldown menu options).

I would also like the option to have Undo/Redo buttons on the toolbar.

As a Windows user, I have a number of other applications (word processing, to name but one) which need me to review changes to a document/file/spreadsheet/whatever. I may then need to reverse (Undo) an edit, and a toolbar button allows me to do this quickly and easily with one mouse action (rather than combinations of keyboard keys or pulldown menu options).

The History panel in the Affinity apps allow you to perform one 'Undo' or several with one mouse action, either by clicking on an entry in the list or by clicking and dragging on the slider control. If you find the default position of the panel inconvenient, you can move it to another position within the Studio; alternatively, you can drag it out of the Studio and place it anywhere on the screen.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

While the keyboard and History functions are useful, I wouldn't mind having a small section of common shortcuts here.

post-27616-0-52893300-1482598790_thumb.png

For the Windows version, the menus could be shifted to the right.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

When I'm using my SurfacePro 4 as a "paint" tablet I also find the history panel a tiny bit too fiddly, with my finger it's a hit-and-miss thing. Surprisingly my hit rate with the context toolbar tool "buttons" is much, much better.

But I also think, the toolbar isn't the right place.

My wish - hey, it's Chistmas time :) - is one (or more) of the following options:

- add support for a left/right wipe gesture

- add two optional context toolbar icons for undo/redo (to allow for better separation from graphical tools they could be located on the bottom of the context toolbar)

- bleduc's idea maybe is a good compromise? (post #16)

affinian

I would hate if there was all kind of windowzy buttons all over the interface wasting real estate as kbd shortcut are so much faster to use. I suppose there would be no harm though if you could hide them. Some tablet computer users like them also.

I wouldn't like that either; which is why I mentioned a "small" section. Even though it's a very basic program, see how Microsoft Paint has a small section on the title bar. That's what I think would work nice.

post-27616-0-65874200-1482798273_thumb.png

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I've 15 years in software dev  which have always included graphic software mainly Fireworks but also PS. I would think being able to add the undo/redo buttons in the tools preferences is a brilliant thing. Dreamweaver allow you to create your own favorites toolbar, fantastic & dynamic, gives you personal options. This software (and Photo) could be the kick in the pants that adobe should get. Make it suit both Windowzy and Macdonalds users. A lot of the world don't choose the machine platforms, they get put in front of them at work, or school. My daughter has 10 years growing up with Apple but now uses Windows as well & likes both for different reasons. I quite often do my work late at night having a beer, smoking a joint & want to be able to just click the friggin back button. Yes I could click through the history but as I just stated I am a bit off my face(not right now It's morning here in NZ). This software shouldn't just be aimed at pro's who love 2 handed shortcuts, make it for the one armed guy/gal as well. We moved away from DOS years ago to point & click OOP so the less clicks the better for us simple folks. The real-estate in Designer is already adjustable with the editable toolbar just make it better. I use shortcuts all the time too but give me the simple things too, like 2 little reversed nike icons.

Merry Christmas

Motto - STUPID HURTS!

• 1 year later...

I'm using the trial period on this software right now and I probably won't purchase it without an undo and redo button added to the custom toolbar selection. It is driving me crazy to use it on the edit menu. I'm not going to keep going through the history for undos. And if I'm using the software at night with the lights out I don't want to have to keep using the keyboard shortcut. I use PhotoPlus 8 several times a week and I'm so use to being able to click undo and redo on the toolbar. I see the argument of "Why would it be better on the toolbar?" Answer: A lot of customers are already use to having it on the toolbar from PhotoPlus 8 and some people find it to be very convenient since undo and redo is used a lot. Customers should have that option if they want.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Angie. :)

1 hour ago, Angie said:

I use PhotoPlus 8 several times a week and I'm so use to being able to click undo and redo on the toolbar.

If you like clicking near the top of the application window, you can drag the History panel out of the Studio and move it to whatever position you prefer. Double-click anywhere on the panel's title bar to collapse it, and click on the 'History' label to expand it again.

BTW, I hope you're using PhotoPlus X8 these days, not the ancient PhotoPlus 8 without the 'X'!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Angie. :)

If you like clicking near the top of the application window, you can drag the History panel out of the Studio and move it to whatever position you prefer. Double-click anywhere on the panel's title bar to collapse it, and click on the 'History' label to expand it again.

BTW, I hope you're using PhotoPlus X8 these days, not the ancient PhotoPlus 8 without the 'X'!

Thank you. I will try that. I am using PhotoPlus X8 but I'm trying to work with the new Affinity Photo to see if I want to purchase it after the trial period. :)

• 2 years later...

I don't know if this is useful for anybody, but I made a button control bar for AP which has an Undo and Redo feature.  It's for PC Windows. (Written using AutoHotKey).

The bar toggles between ClipStudio Paint and Affinity Photo.  It's all pretty self-explanatory.

You have to noodle a bit with your keyboard shortcuts, since the buttons just trigger those.  Specifically 'b' and 'e' (brush and eraser) are factory set to cycle through several existing tools, so you can just go through the keyboard shortcuts menu and delete all the 'b' and 'e' instances which you don't need. -If it bothers you.

If you want to use the canvas rotation buttons, I use the square brackets.  Just set your keyboard shortcut for Rotate clockwise to: [  and Rotate counter-clockwise to: ]

Anyway, you can download it off my website (just unzip and run from the folder):

http://www.iboxpublishing.com/random/CSP-AP-Bar1.zip

AP-button-bar.jpg.fda3ee1ff39afdb991a81204d34c0069.jpg

If you want to make your own, there's a more feature-rich button bar creator designed with Cintiqs and drawing tablets in mind here:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/toolbar-creator-v-2-2-beta-available-for-download.63014/

Cheers!

Edited by thatcomicsguy