You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to turn AP detected edges into AD vector objects?

In Affinity Photo, the Filters > Detect > Detect Edges commands finds exactly the paths I want to use to create vector art — but I can't find any way to work with them in Affinity Designer. I'm probably missing something obvious, but I've poked around for the better part of an hour and I'm still where I began.

Hi UncleMonkey,

Those filters are only available in Affinity Photo. Since you appear to have both programs, you can do this: open the image in Affinity Photo and apply the Detect Edges filter, then go to menu File ▸ Edit in Designer..., to continue your work in Designer.

Thanks, MEB, and sorry! I didn't make my problem clear. I got the file to Designer the way you describe, but once it's there it behaves like any other raster image: I can't find a way to select or manipulate the edges Affiinity Photo detected. I was hoping there was a command I'd missed that would convert them to vector art.

• Staff

Hi UncleMonkey,

What you are looking for is an automated tracing tool, that is, something to automatically convert a bitmap into vectors for further manipulation. Affinity Designer does not have one at this point. This is something that was requested several times and is being considered for inclusion in a future version, but since it's not trivial to create (at least a good one) it may still take a while until it becomes available.

So you either have to trace the image manually or use a third party application like Vector MagicImage Vectorizer or Super Vectorizer. Check this thread for more info about this.

• 2 months later...