You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have several photos where i want to either brighten an area in the foreground or bring out its colour.  These photos are of sunsets but I'd like to lighten small areas in the foreground how do I go about doing this (note I'm a non PS user and a beginner of Affinity Photo)

Hiya Digbydo, I'd recommend watching the videos here in sequence so you can learn the basics of the app and managing layers, then look into making selections to isolate areas, and then you can use adjustments to achieve what you want.

Vimeo album for Affinity Photo

Cheers, Dale.

Twitter: @Writer_Dale
Affinity apps run on: Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB RAM, GTX1650 Super

• Staff

Hi Digbydo, as Dale said, the videos will give you the tools to be able to achieve this, but there is a video that I think would suit your needs very well: Enhancing Landscapes/Architecture

It's a straightforward approach using a couple of brush tools to both brighten areas and bring out their colour - sounds like that would work for you?

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

• 2 months later...

I know its been a while since you guys answered my first question but I've been really busy trying to get to grips with all the features on this system so I'd just like to say a big thanks (even though it has arrived late) still better late than never. 

My next thing to try and sort out is how to replace one sky with another - I have a good photo with a drab sky and another photo of a great sky but sod all else in it so, the question is how can I move the good sky into the good photo?

Hiya 'n Thanks for highlighting the tutorial I'm getting on with it quite well my only concern is that I have a section in the foreground, which has several branches (some with leaves) and I'm wondering is there a quicker way to select the spaces which show parts of the sky so as my 'good sky' can come through?