You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Show/hide linked/embedded document layers within Publisher

One workflow I tend to use quite often in InDesign when working with similar or repeating images is to create a layered document in Illustrator or Photoshop with all of the variants that I require and then after the document is placed use the 'Object Layer Options…' dialog to toggle the visibility of the layers as required. Currently there is no way to do this in Publisher as linked or embedded documents are black boxes within the application, and any editing/layer manipulation done is reflected in all instances of the linked (or embedded) document. This limitation then requires that you create (and manage) multiple, individual files each reflecting the edited state desired.

Being able to link (or embed) one file repeatedly and then toggle individual layers on and off within each instance can greatly reduce the headaches involved in managing many, similar, but largely redundant files. 

A possible solution would be using AD artboards. You can place different versions of your images on separated artboards in your external AD document. Then in APub you can place this document and choose which artboard do you want to display for this particular instance of placed document. You can have as many instances as you want. And good thing is that changing one instance’s state has no effect on others.

Benefits: you keep all the editing process in a separate source AD document utilizing AP if needed. And in APub you focus on layout.  Seems to be very close to your Adobe workflow.

Thanks @Alex M, using separate artboards is a nice idea. At first glance, it's not quite as convenient as being able to toggle individual layers, but I'm going to play around with it and see if I can come up with something that comes close to my existing workflow. Thanks again!

• 5 weeks later...