You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Keyboard shortcut to add dot to separate text in Affinity Designer?

I'm doing a flyer for a real estate company and they want to include three of their strong points in one line:

Residential   Property Management   Commercial

and I want to use a bullet point type of dot between each one to separate them. I once knew the keyboard shortcut but haven't used Affinity Designer in a long time, forgot what it is and can't locate it. In InDesign, it's Alt+8. Any help appreciated.

I might be a bit cynical but it seems that Serif wants you to purchase Publisher to have this feature, since in Publisher you could define e.g. Alt+8 or whatever you wish for shortcut for the bullet character, but in Designer, unfortunately, this does not seem to be supported:

image.jpeg.7f5bf960f368364bd76a1ef8647fa6aa.jpeg

[EDIT: AutoCorrect, which could also be used in Publisher to have a specific text, e.g. (b), be replaced while typing with a bullet character, is not available as a feature in Designer, either. But AutoCorrect, once defined in Publisher, would be available in Designer Persona, while a hotkey defined in Publisher would not!]

You could type in U+2022 and hit Alt+U to turn the Unicode to bullet, but I am not sure if that could be called a shortcut. Or you could use third party utility like AutoHotkey to create a system hotkey for the bullet character, but otherwise the Glyphs Browser and typing bull as the search criterion would probably be the easiest way to get the bullet character in the current font and font size inserted in text.

EDIT: In case you have AutoHotkey installed, or see the trouble of downloading and installing this free utility, here is the line that you could enter in the default script to have bullet character entered in text by pressing Alt+8 in any Windows app accepting text input, as long as the bullet character is used for the codepoint U2022 in the currently active font:

!8::Send {U+2022} ; bullet character

1 hour ago, Ballyshannon said:

In InDesign, it's Alt+8. Any help appreciated.

In Windows it's ALT+7 for me

But only when using the numeric keypad for the number 7

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

18 hours ago, lacerto said:

You could type in U+2022 and hit Alt+U to turn the Unicode to bullet...

WHy can I not get this to work in AD on my Mac? I have asked this before & someone explained how to make it work to me, but I can't remember what I was doing wrong.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 10/12/2022 at 5:14 AM, Ballyshannon said:

I'm doing a flyer for a real estate company and they want to include three of their strong points in one line:

Residential   Property Management   Commercial

and I want to use a bullet point type of dot between each one to separate them. I once knew the keyboard shortcut but haven't used Affinity Designer in a long time, forgot what it is and can't locate it. In InDesign, it's Alt+8. Any help appreciated.

Have you tried Alt+0149 using the numbers keyboard?