You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Imported psd files colour issues - Super washed out

Hello All,

Running a new updated Mac with the latest version of affinity.

New fun issue has started coming up. When I export a file as a psd from Capture One, the image is extremely washed out while I'm working in the software. If I've clicked on something else, the colours restore until I click back on the AP screen. See attached photos (from my phone, but you'll get the idea of what it's supposed to look like vs washed out version). This is all my regular workflow and as far as I know, nothing has changed so I'd love to know/figure out/solve whatever is going on so I can actually get work done. This is happening on the laptop monitor as well as the external, and I've tried different cables. 

Thanks in advance for any help!

20221009_192656-1.jpg

20221009_192706.jpg

Edited by Capture It Photography

• Staff

Hi @Capture It Photography welcome to the forums,

Just a few questions to clarify:

Does this only happen with images exported as .PSD from Capture One or have you found this with other file formats as-well? If you were to export out of Photo as a .PSD and then re-open the file back up in Photo have you found the same issue happening?

Does disabling Hardware Acceleration (Under Preferences > Performance) and restarting the app and then importing have any affect?

Could you possibly provide me with a sample .PSD that you're experiencing this on so I can confirm whether or not it's an environmental/localised issue, i've provided a private dropbox link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/request/ytFkdtjZmBRFbXZTIkMa

If you could also send a screenshot of your 'About this Mac' tab under System preferences that would be great. What's strange is it's not just the image that appears washed out, but the entire area surrounding the canvas.

@NathanC Sorry for the delayed reply - was away from my desk for a day. So far, disabling Hardware Acceleration seems to have done the trick (one wonders why any software makers have it as an option anymore, as it seems to mostly cause issues, but that's another rant, heh). 

I'll send the files/screenshot later on today just for reference though. Hopefully that was just a quick fix for the issue.

Thanks for your help!!

• 8 months later...

Thank you it seemed to have solved my problem as well, I kept searching for overexposed which took me down the wrong hole. I experienced this for the first time in Affinity Photo 1 on new Mac powerbook, so I am trying the new version to see if it still happens (it does). I changed the General settings on Photo2 which did it, but where is the same hardware settings on photo1? 

IMG_7594.jpg

33 minutes ago, DaumierRF said:

I changed the General settings on Photo2 which did it, but where is the same hardware settings on photo1? 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums. That setting is in the same place in both V2 and V1 of the applications (except that the dialog is Preferences in V1, and Settings in V2).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

That setting is in the same place in both V2 and V1 of the applications (except that the dialog is Preferences in V1, and Settings in V2).

That depends on which version of macOS you’re using… In Monterey and below it’s still Preferences, in Ventura and above it’s Settings… 🙃

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse