You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Illustrator effect in Affinty Designer

Hi,

I am transferring from Illustrator to Affinity Designer and in Illustrator I frequently used the Water Paper Filter to add texture to the fill of vector items. Whilst I can open my illustrator files in AF and the filter is still there and prints great. How can I create this texture in AF designer please?  In Illustrator I  used to just add it by selecting the object>effect>sketch>waterpaper.

Any help would be much appreciated.

36 minutes ago, retrogem said:

used the Water Paper Filter

ADe doesn't have/offer such own filters, there you can only add noise to fills. So you would have instead to reuse some created texture from APh then for ADe here (...which in turn means then pixel rasterization), or you would need to reuse some other third-party vector water paper texture for this purpose.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, retrogem said:

Hi,

I am transferring from Illustrator to Affinity Designer and in Illustrator I frequently used the Water Paper Filter to add texture to the fill of vector items. Whilst I can open my illustrator files in AF and the filter is still there and prints great. How can I create this texture in AF designer please?  In Illustrator I  used to just add it by selecting the object>effect>sketch>waterpaper.

Any help would be much appreciated.

One option: https://affinityrevolution.com/watercolor-effect-affinity-photo-tutorial/

AD is scarce on preset filters, but there is a plugin called G'MIC that can import custom filters in as well.

1 hour ago, debraspicher said:

AD is scarce on preset filters, but there is a plugin called G'MIC that can import custom filters in as well.

Looks great but no Mac version 😭

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

4 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Don't know what "custom filters" you are talking about, but G'MIC also exists as a web service (G'MIC Online). That should work on Mac too, I think. Go to the home page of G'MIC and scroll down a little.

G'MIC is available at different flavors, as QT-Plugins (for Gimp, XNView, Python CLI ... etc.) and yes there's also an Online version.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

25 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Oof. Maybe try following tutorials to find similar effect and create a Macro? I'm sure third party options also exist for Macros. 2.0 coming soon, so hopefully they will add in more flavors... though I do like the idea of portable custom filter/inputs...

4 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

G'MIC is available at different flavors, as QT-Plugins (for Gimp, XNView, Python CLI ... etc.) and yes there's also an Online version.

The version from Partha might be okay. I checked the Windows versions of GIMP and Darktable from Partha some years ago. But generally I would recommend to use original software, downloaded from the original websites, in case of Open-Source-Software, because there are criminals out there that spread malware with manipulated versions. And alternative versions like the ones from Partha are not always up to date.

14 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

The version from Partha might be okay. I checked the Windows versions of GIMP and Darktable from Partha some years ago. ...

Can't actually tell, since I even don't remember when I used Gimp the last time and if it then was under Windows or MacOS. - Though, I must still have a bunch of Scheme (Skript-Fu)/Python scripts for it somewhere flying around here, since I did a bunch of scripting for it in the pasts.

18 hours ago, v_kyr said:

ADe doesn't have/offer such own filters, there you can only add noise to fills. So you would have instead to reuse some created texture from APh then for ADe here (...which in turn means then pixel rasterization), or you would need to reuse some other third-party vector water paper texture for this purpose.

thank you for your help. I hope Affinity introduce an simple way to do this in the future!

15 hours ago, debraspicher said:

Oof. Maybe try following tutorials to find similar effect and create a Macro? I'm sure third party options also exist for Macros. 2.0 coming soon, so hopefully they will add in more flavors... though I do like the idea of portable custom filter/inputs...

Hope SO!

34 minutes ago, retrogem said:

I hope Affinity introduce an simple way to do this in the future!

Maybe (who knows).

In the meantime you can download some such textures from third-party resources and clip them then to your ADe shapes. - For example like from ...

... in case of plain vector based textures (so no bitmaps), you have to search the net for such online services, which offer to download vector based texture then instead.

I could only get G'MIC to work locally on Mac via Gimp: 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

It's possible to install other Photoshop plugins, (most are paid as far as I can tell)... but I really recommend to find a style that matches your work/desired effect, create by hand and "record" to macro for future use...

Example method: https://graphicriver.net/item/perfectum-3-watercolor-master-photoshop-action/21521178