You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Align multiple shapes not working

Hey everyone!

- I am trying to align multiple selected shapes.
- I have transform multiple shapes enabled.
- I click on center horizontally.
- I click on center vertically.
This doesn't result in the shapes being centered to the document. It seems to center the shapes to their average shape center. The setting for transforming multiple elements doesn't seem to have any effect here.

I am using Designer 1.10.4, which may not be the most current version. I am rarely updating in order to keep workflow stability.
I searched for "align multiple" and didn't find this issue.
Best wishes,
Shu

• Staff

Hi Shushustorm,

Welcome to the forums :)

This seems to work fine for me here however I'm using 1.10.5. Which alignment settings do you have applied in the alignment menu? Do you have the Align to dropdown set to last selected rather than spread etc?

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

33 minutes ago, shushustorm said:

This doesn't result in the shapes being centered to the document. It seems to center the shapes to their average shape center. The setting for transforming multiple elements doesn't seem to have any effect here.

Honestly you should maybe first read the online documentation about how certain functions are supposed to work and be used. So make yourself clear what concrete is meant there. - Further you may want to use the latest ADe version instead, which already fixed certain issues previous versions may had.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thanks for your replies,
@Callum
@v_kyr
Alright, when I align from the toolbar, I can change the settings to "Spread" for both horizontal and vertical alignment and I do get the results that I want (both shapes being centered to the file's center).

However, I would expect that, when directly aligning from the context toolbar, while having "Transform Object Separately" (also context toolbar) enabled, the objects are transformed separately, so they should be aligned separately, which again, should center them to the file's center, since that's what happens when I select them individually and try to center them horizontally and vertically.