You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Memory Leak?

Hey everyone!

I ran into Designer showing the beach ball whenever I moved full screen focus to it. Looking into the activity monitor, it showed more and more increasing RAM usage by Designer. The file was getting somewhat complex, so I closed it and opened a very small file. The issue still showed up. Had to restart Designer and the complex file now works fast again. Not sure what caused it. Working on that same file, this didn't show up later anymore. Seems sporadic.

Is there a known issue with Designer 1.10.4 getting memory leaks? This may not be the most current version. I am rarely updating in order to keep workflow stability.
I searched for "memory leak" and didn't find this issue.
Best wishes,
Shu

• Staff

Hi shishustorm,

You'd need to update your software and let us know if you are still having the issue. Functionally they are the same. 

It's worth noting that it's not a memory leak if you regain the memory back after closing the application, it's just the application using the available memory to keep performance. Your system may have beach balling due to lack of available memory for your project and paging to disk as a backup.

Lee

@LeeThorpe

It's a very sporadic issue. Only ever showed up once. So I tried to get more info here whether there is a known scenario so I can avoid it.

Also, the app used up more and more memory without changing anything within the file. Just by focusing and defocusing some times, the RAM usage went from a few hundred MB to above 1GB.

@GarryP

I'm not unwilling to update in general. But there's a time for it that makes sense and then there's a time for it when things run quite well and I don't need any features of newer versions - why would I risk breaking things by updating? That doesn't mean I don't appreciate bugs fixed in future versions down the road when I'm updating.