You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color picker: 10% becomes 100%

Hey everyone!

When typing "10" for opacity, I am always getting "100%" rather than "10%". 5 becomes 50, I think, as well. Not sure this is an OS issue,

I'm on a Mac, using Designer 1.10.4, which may not be the most current version. I am rarely updating in order to keep workflow stability.
I searched for "picker 10" and didn't find this issue.
Best wishes,
Shu

7 hours ago, shushustorm said:

When typing "10" for opacity, I am always getting "100%" rather than "10%". 5 becomes 50, I think, as well. Not sure this is an OS issue,

Believe it or not this is a feature, when we have selected a layer and just type 1 or 3 we can set the opacity to 10% or 30%. Oddly 0 is set to give us 100% opacity. This sounds like you are selecting a layer and then typing 1 and then typing 0 try just typing 1 this will get you 10%. Or you could type 1 and 0 quickly.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

@LeeThorpe

Thanks for clarifying. That's what I did eventually, but I'd like to avoid typing the % all the time. But that doesn't work, unfortunately, since it auto completes to a number I didn't type.

@Old Bruce

I though so. I don't think that's a good idea, however, since it makes things quite obscure. You have to think what to type instead of just typing what you need. So I'll probably be just better off typing all the way to the % symbol and still be faster. Unfortunately. Not to mention I can't type single digits. So I'd have to keep in mind even different behaviours for just one field.

Want 10%? Type 1

Want 5%? Type 5%
Madness!

And that behaviour is not aiming for consistency either. I don't have to type "100px" to get "100px". I just type "100" in a field that uses pixels and it auto completes the metrics. But never messes with the values. Unless when typing percentages.

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/8/2022 at 1:44 AM, shushustorm said:

@LeeThorpe

Thanks for clarifying. That's what I did eventually, but I'd like to avoid typing the % all the time. But that doesn't work, unfortunately, since it auto completes to a number I didn't type.

@Old Bruce

I though so. I don't think that's a good idea, however, since it makes things quite obscure. You have to think what to type instead of just typing what you need. So I'll probably be just better off typing all the way to the % symbol and still be faster. Unfortunately. Not to mention I can't type single digits. So I'd have to keep in mind even different behaviours for just one field.

Want 10%? Type 1

Want 5%? Type 5%
Madness!

And that behaviour is not aiming for consistency either. I don't have to type "100px" to get "100px". I just type "100" in a field that uses pixels and it auto completes the metrics. But never messes with the values. Unless when typing percentages.

Your interpretation is not correct.

the digits 0, 1, 2, 3, ..9 will set layer opacity to 100%, 10%, 20%, 30%, … 90% when there is no input focus on the numeric input field, but the layer is selected in the layer stack.

If you have input focus on the numeric input field, the digits will stay unchanged as you type them, and become the actual opacity value after hitting enter or closing the input field by other means (mouse etc).

The units of measure stay as they are before, and chosen in document settings / preferences. You only need to enter a unit manually if you intentionally want to change the unit (temporary for one actual input operation).

For layer opacity, you never need to enter a unit as this is always using percentage.

This is 100% consistent. It might differ from what you are expecting it should be, never the less it shows well-defined behavior.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

On 11/6/2022 at 1:13 PM, NotMyFault said:

the digits 0, 1, 2, 3, ..9 will set layer opacity to 100%, 10%, 20%, 30%, … 90% when there is no input focus on the numeric input field, but the layer 

On 11/6/2022 at 1:13 PM, NotMyFault said:

If you have input focus on the numeric input field, the digits will stay unchanged

1. I'm not talking about layer opacity, but color opacity within the Color window (see topic title).

2. I do have focus on the input field and I am getting "50%" auto complete when just typing "5" and hitting enter confirms just that.