You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hyperlinks in pdf not working

I am trying to add a hyperlink in Affinity Designer (I meant to say Publisher) to a file I will export as a pdf. I followed the directions to add a hyperlink, and it worked. When I click "Go to hyperlink target" to test the link, it works. When I export the file as a pdf, the hyperlink shows up, and it is clickable. Unfortunately, clicking the link does nothing. Here are my settings:

File format: PDF

Rasterize: everything

Use document resolution

Allow JPEG compression

Compatibility PDF 1.7 (Acrobat 😎

Color Space As document

ICC profile: Use Document profile

Embed ICC profile

Honor spot colors

Overprint black

Include Hyperlinks

Allow advanced features

Any ideas?

Which software are you using to read the PDF?

Have you checked the settings of that software to make sure that links are clickable?

Can you use the same software to click on links in other PDFs?

Have you checked to see if the layer containing the link is not below another layer (thus making the link-layer unreachable)?

What do you mean by “does nothing” – does the mouse change when you hover over the link, does it change when you click the link, have you checked to see if the linked document opens elsewhere?

Why are you rasterising everything? (That could, but I don’t know, cause the links to be removed.)

Can you share the document and/or PDF, or a cut-down version of the document?

7 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

How do you add Hyperlinks in Affinity Designer? I´m just using it in Affinity Publisher so far.

That’s a good point, Designer has no Hyperlink capabilities, other than those which have come over from a document created in Publisher (I missed that they said Designer).

5 hours ago, PixelPest said:

How do you add Hyperlinks in Affinity Designer? I´m just using it in Affinity Publisher so far.

You can't create/add hyperlinks in AD, nor is there a "Go to hyperlink target" item in its UI, so I wonder if the OP really meant AD was being used for this.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The reason why I rasterize everything is because I sell printable games. I don't want buyers to have the ability to easily lift images from my games. Sometimes I include images I purchased from others, and as part of their terms of use, anything I sell must be flattened. It's also so that my files will be smaller. The games I sell sometimes have 30-50 pages. (Bingo)

I don't know what happened, but when I tried resaving the file with a new name and then adding they hyperlink again, everything worked. There may have been some sort of glitch with my original file. 

Thank you everyone for your quick answers. They were very helpful. I'm sorry it took me so long to reply that all was well. I have kids, got distracted, and didn't realize until today that I never came back to follow up and say thank you.

19 minutes ago, momsthewordus said:

I'm sorry. I did mean affinity designer, not affinity publisher. 

As others have said, Designer does not have the Hyperlink functions, so if you need to use them you're in the wrong application.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1