You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shear guide arrows don't appear on object bounding box nodes

Hi,

Greetings, I'm a new user, and just learning AD. (I've used other vector drawing programs in the past).

First question:

Tutorial says that shear arrows will appear if I hover over the side nodes of an object boundng box.

I don't find this. I get horizontal arrows that allow scaling the object in one dimension. I can't get shear arrows to appear.

Shearing works normally from the Transform panel.

Is there a setting for this? Or was it removed from this version of AD?

I'm on MacOS,

AD 1.10.5

Thanks!

L&R

• Staff

Hi @LeftandRight,

I can confirm that this should work as the Help File describes - and this is the behaviour I see currently using the Move Tool:

Note you need to have the cursor slightly offset from the bounding box node to initiate the Shear function, shown with the following icons:

image.png

I hope this clears things up!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Note you need to have the cursor slightly offset from the bounding box node to initiate the Shear function, shown with the following icons:

image.png

Hi Dan

Sh*t, that "slightly offset" did it. I tried multiple times but was always trying right on the node.

FYI, your video won't play for me in Firefox. It loads, and looks like it's playing, but only shows the cursor moving for the first few seconds, then the screen shot of the blank page stays the same even though the progress bar proceeds for the full 31 seconds. So I couldn't see what you were demonstrating with it. Glad you added the note!

L&R

• Staff

Glad to hear this helped!

3 minutes ago, LeftandRight said:

FYI, your video won't play for me in Firefox. It loads, and looks like it's playing, but only shows the cursor moving for the first few seconds, then the screen shot of the blank page stays the same even though the progress bar proceeds for the full 31 seconds. So I couldn't see what you were demonstrating with it. Glad you added the note!

Thanks for letting me know - I'll be sure to investigate this further and make sure everything is correct on our end :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

Glad to hear this helped!

Thanks for letting me know - I'll be sure to investigate this further and make sure everything is correct on our end :)

Hi Dan,

I just tested on Safari and retested on Firefox.

Result:

Safari does work. But it takes several minutes to load before it will start.

Firefox still doesn't work, is sluggish, and sometimes shows a different frozen frame. Usually just the beginning.

Both of them seem to be trying to handle more data than usual for a 30-second video.

So, to discover what's happening, I'm curious what happens when you read the forum post --

I.e: Does it play in Firefox? Does it take 1-2 minutes to load in Safari Before it will play?

Best wishes,

L&R

2 hours ago, LeftandRight said:

So, to discover what's happening, I'm curious what happens when you read the forum post --

I.e: Does it play in Firefox? Does it take 1-2 minutes to load in Safari Before it will play?

For me, using Firefox version 105.0.2 on my Mac, the video loads & plays with no delay.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

For me, using Firefox version 105.0.2 on my Mac, the video loads & plays with no delay.

Odd; I updated to 105.0.2, but no change. Still fails to play, and takes several minutes to load anyway.

I note from Activity Monitor that it's using 95-100% of CPU while loading.

I'm on an older mac, but Dual Core Intel, High Sierra OS. Perhaps it's an OS incompatibilty of some sort for video.

I give up. 😀

L&R

• Staff
15 hours ago, LeftandRight said:

Both in Firefox and Safari this video also plays instantly for me, so I'm not 100% sure why this is occuring for you currently - my apologies!

However I will provide your system specs to our web team to see if we can better understand the cause of this and improve it for the future :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

I'm noticing the same as LeftandRight. I also use FireFox. It does play in MS Edge. It's something to do with the *.mov file container/format, some Firefox browsers just don't like.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD