You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer freezing while choosing export location in export persona - Any suggestions?

Hey, would be super grateful if someone could help me out with this. 

Issue: 90% of the time when ever I go to the export persona and try to choose a file location to export the app freezes and becomes unresponsive. I've tried waiting, but it never works and it has nothing to do with the export because it's purely when I open up the finder directory that it freezes. If i export single boards from the design persona I Don't have any issues. The only work around I've found is force quitting and trying again which works 50% of the time.

Project details: I make posters for dance studios to promote their classes which change weekly. I like to use symbols so that I don't have to do anything twice and I have a lot of photos layered in the document so that if a previous teacher is rostered on for the week I only have to turn on the layer and my work is done. The project edits fine and exports quickly when I can manage to get it to export.

Computer: I've had the same issue on multiple computers over 2-3 years hoping it was a bug that would be fixed. previously I had a MacBook pro 15" 2015, mac Mini m1. My current machine is a 14" MacBook Pro with M1 Max 32core, 32gb Ram & 4tb. If it was a performance problem I would of thought the new computer would have fixed it.

Hopefully that's enough detail, happy to ask questions just really need to sort this out and really appreciate a solution. 

1827936128_SoleThurRosterS2T4W1.afdesign

Welcome!

35 minutes ago, Jacob Y said:

Hopefully that's enough detail ...

Maybe additionally the MacOS version (if Monterey 12.6 etc.) you've in use and what your ADe preferences hardware acceleration settings are (Metal or OpenGL)?

There are some known M1 based stalling & lagging issues which can happen ...

... though it doesn't sound to be like that (...export persona) entirely in your described case here.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

11 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Welcome!

Maybe additionally the MacOS version (if Monterey 12.6 etc.) you've in use and what your ADe preferences hardware acceleration settings are (Metal or OpenGL)?

There are some known M1 based stalling & lagging issues which can happen ...

... though it doesn't sound to be like that (...export persona) entirely in your described case here.

Im running Monterey 12.6, but it was still an issue on the previous 2 or 3 versions including an intel model. I use Metal acceleration, but I've tried OpenGL and it didn't make a difference.

• Staff

Hi @Jacob Y,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

We're sorry to hear you're having trouble!

Can you please confirm for me, do you have a Cloud service 'syncing' files/folders on your system please? For example, Google Drive, One Drive, OwnCloud?

This doesn't necessarily have to be the folder you are exporting to, as we have a bug report logged with our developers currently whereby the Affinity app can freeze selecting folders in the Export Persona when a Cloud service is syncing files elsewhere on your system.

Many thanks in advance.

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

I have the exact same thing happening. When the slices export location dialog box comes up, I get the spinning beach ball. I have deleted Finder preferences, started in safe mode, etc. 

I have Dropbox but not saving to Dropbox folder. I would say this happens 50%+ of the time.

Specs: 

Late 16" 2019 MPB

Intel I9 - 64GB RAM - 2TB SSD

This started, along with many other OS issues after "upgrading" to Monterey. Never had any issues under Catalina but I was told for security reasons I needed to upgrade. I should not have listened. it's best to stay with the OS it came with and was designed for, I think.

• Staff
1 minute ago, Bryce said:

I have Dropbox but not saving to Dropbox folder. I would say this happens 50%+ of the time.

Thanks for confirming that for me and I'm sorry to hear this!

I can verify our team are aware of a bug whereby when exporting through the Export Persona with 'Cloud' folders on the system (even when not exporting to them), this can cause the Affinity app to 'hang'.

This issue is logged with our team and we hope to have it resolved in a future update - I'll be sure to 'bump' this issue with our team for you now.

I hope this clears things up :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Same issue here on OSX M1. I had to disable OneDrive (Microsoft cloud) but the problem persists with iCloud (probably). Any fix coming up?

This gets very frustrating as any export (~30 a day) is a 75% chance of force quitting the app... awful workflow! (but love the app)

Cheers

• Staff

Hi @lgr,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

Sorry to hear this issue if affecting you, I can confirm this is still logged with our developers as a bug and I'm unable to provide any estimated timeframes, however I will be sure to 'bump' this with the team to bring it to their attention once again.

I hope this helps!

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

The issue "Export Persona hang in Open and Save Panel Process when Exporting Slices" (REF: AFD-5921) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.1.0.1781".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.