You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Placed PDF version is not compatible with the PDF export version

Can someone explain what does this mean?

The PDF export version is not known before you actually initiate the Export and select it,
yet this error seems to be thrown all the time in Live Preflight, before I actually select anything in Export function

This explains the generic process of fixing issues, but still don't explain the specific check I created this post about.

When you create a document, PDF export version is not known.

In order to determine that a PDF has a conflict with a chosen export version, you need to know what that version is, and the program shouldn't know that.

So generating this error should not be possible before you initiate Export procedure and select the version there.

1 minute ago, Blake_S said:

In order to determine that a PDF has a conflict with a chosen export version, you need to know what that version is, and the program shouldn't know that.

The Preflight Profile you select specifies the PDF output level to check against. Edit the profile and you'll see it, and can change it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The Preflight Profile you select specifies the PDF output level to check against. Edit the profile and you'll see it, and can change it.

yes this was indeed the case, although the error message is not entirely clear on what you should change, since it doesn't mention "Compatibility", which is how the setting is called in a preflight profile

1 minute ago, Blake_S said:

yes this was indeed the case, although the error message is not entirely clear on what you should change, since it doesn't mention "Compatibility", which is how the setting is called in a preflight profile

It is the only PDF Passthrough setting, isn't it?

From your topic title the message says your files are not "compatible", and the setting is "compatibility". Seems clear enough, to me.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, Blake_S said:

The PDF export version is not known before you actually initiate the Export and select it,

I am just assuming the following. When you first start up Publisher (and I mean even the very first time after having bought and installed it) there is a PDF (For Print) preset chosen for new documents. After you do set up a different Preset, perhaps an edited version, then that preset is remembered for subsequent documents.

I guess the programmers decided that it would be best to warn you about potential problems with PDFs before you go to export. Even if your intention is to export a PNG instead of a PDF.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 months later...

I'm having the same issues with PDFs set to interpreted (because that allows me to see them as vectors so I can do my tracing more easily than on blurry rasterised versions. To me the burning question left unanswered is what is the difference between interpreted and passthrough? And what are the compatibility issues that the preflight panel warns about? Both pdf 1.6 and 1.7 versions have these compatibility issues in the preflight panel when set to interpreted, but I don't really know what this entails.

• Staff
21 hours ago, Intuos5 said:

I'm having the same issues with PDFs set to interpreted (because that allows me to see them as vectors so I can do my tracing more easily than on blurry rasterised versions. To me the burning question left unanswered is what is the difference between interpreted and passthrough? And what are the compatibility issues that the preflight panel warns about? Both pdf 1.6 and 1.7 versions have these compatibility issues in the preflight panel when set to interpreted, but I don't really know what this entails.

Passthrough essentially recreates the document using the information in the PDF, this can be quite heavy, so an alternative "interpret" mode is optional to just show a taster preview of the contents.

Lee

1 hour ago, LeeThorpe said:

The preview is only for viewing, not for final output.

@LeeThorpe That's weird, because whenever I set a PDF file to passthrough mode, I get this error prompt in the preflight panel: image.png.b9b6b06ffb6f1f7dc41606a94152c664.png

Whenever I hit fix, it set's the image to interpreted mode. But this doesn't change anything visually (beyond showing the vector PDF as a vector and not as a rasterised version). So if this is a viewing kind of thing, then why does it give these errors?