You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I force cut a hole? Will Affinity ever fix the 'cutting a simple hole' issue in Designer?

Win10/Designer/Desktop

I don't understand why making a few holes is such a ginormous issue with designer. 

I want to make 2 holes in the nose of this project. (Since this is for a cutting project, the hole Must be Cut.)

I select the nose and the dot on the right and ta-da Cut. 

I select the nose and the dot on the left and select Cut and the dot vanishes, but no hole. 

So I undo. I make a copy of the dot on the right (cause that one worked), flipped it over and drag it to the left. And I color it red, so I don't get confused. 

Then again, I click the dot on the right and the nose and select cut and it cuts. 
I go to the left and do the same and again - there is an odd outline, but no cut. You can't see the purple behind the pink nose. 

How is it I can cut a hole on the Right side of the nose, but I can't create a duplicate dot, move it to the left side and have it cut on the left side of the nose? 

I even went crazy. I un-did the whole thing so both dots were on the nose and attempted to cut the left side first - Nope! 
Then I switched the dot - I put the right dot on the left side and the left dot on the right side - I still can't cut a hole on the left side of the nose. Why? 

Why can't I cut the left side of the nose? 

Designer refusing the cut holes is a Constant issue. It's always a crapshoot whether or not Designer will cut a simple hole. 

How do I force cut a hole? 

error.png

Windows 10 | Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher | Super Power: ADHD | Instagram - Twitter | Code: HTML, CSS, PHP, JavaScript, Node, Lua, Kodular,  Stencyl & Unreal

From your screenshots it is not fully clear if there are holes or not, respectively what should be displayed in/underneath the two holes.

In the 4th screenshot both small circular paths are displayed with a blue line while the larger elliptical curves layer is selected, … as for the first hole in the 2nd screenshot. This makes me wonder whether there ARE both holes in the pink elliptical layer but another pink object below gets visible through the left hole? Or, where does the black in the right hole result from while the only black layer in the screenshot is set to invisible?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 4 weeks later...

Still having the same issue. 

I have 2 curves. I want to cut the green from the black. Once cut, there should be holes in the black curve, but again, Affinity is only cutting one small part.  
I select the black and green areas and click Subtract and Only one small part is cut. 

In the second photo you can see where the green curve was, it's still outlined, but there's not hole there. 

Why hasn't Affinity fixed this issue? 

Here's a video: 

image.png.bd52e10a5c34b81289690f221198ac23.png

image.png.37bb637e5d4fc7500c0b5a1dc0b092e0.png

Windows 10 | Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher | Super Power: ADHD | Instagram - Twitter | Code: HTML, CSS, PHP, JavaScript, Node, Lua, Kodular,  Stencyl & Unreal

As BofG said "I bet it is the fill mode". Choose one of these. It is in the Layer Menu.

703425364_ScreenShot2022-10-27at7_51_41AM.png.07edf17fdc6206e23838149a745fa665.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.