You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot delete, or move Text box on Master page

About editing master page placeholder content

As opposed to editing the master page itself which affects all publication pages attached to it, you can edit the contents of any frame on the publication page, making it unique for that page. This 'local' edit will not be made on the master page itself. Placeholder content could be empty text or picture frame, or frames filled with filler text or a temporary image, respectively.

By default, you can't transform or change the properties of a master page's picture frames and text frames themselves as only the frame content can be edited; the frame is locked by default. Detaching the master page lets you do this instead.

See:

Also in general ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

18 minutes ago, Cbittner said:

I have a text box on my master that I am not able to delete, or I find, move. 

Are you trying to operate on the frame on the Master Page, or are you trying to operate on a document page that has inherited the frame from a Master Page?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I need to watch more tutorials, but got it addressed. I was editing the Master Page, not an inherited page, but I was finally able to delete the text field by Right mouse clicking on the Master Page layers folder and selecting 'Edit Detached' - I am not sure what that did, but it then allowed me to select and delete the field. Now I just need to learn why.

8 hours ago, Cbittner said:

I need to watch more tutorials, but got it addressed. I was editing the Master Page, not an inherited page, but I was finally able to delete the text field by Right mouse clicking on the Master Page layers folder and selecting 'Edit Detached' - I am not sure what that did, but it then allowed me to select and delete the field. Now I just need to learn why.

If you needed to use Edit Detached, it sounds like either:

1. You were working on a document page (not a Master Page), and working on the content inherited from a Master Page.
    or
  2. You were working on a Master Page, which contains content inherited from a different Master Page.

If you still need help, please provide a screenshot of the complete application window, including the Layers panel and the Pages panel. That way we can see what you're working on.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

After watching more videos, I see what was happening. I was just single clicking from the document page, to the master page which changed the blue highlight, which I "assumed" meant I was on the master template and was editing there. I now know to 2x click to edit whichever document/master I am intending, and also to look at the bottom bar to confirm which item I am editing. Thanks Walt for your input. 

You're welcome.

And thanks for posting the solution you found. That will probably help someone else (in addition to reminding me of another possibility when trying to help other users :)).

-- Walt
PC:

7 hours ago, Cbittner said:

... I "assumed" meant I was on the master template and was editing there.

One quick way to tell what document or master page you are on is to check the navigation bar at the bottom of the window, to the left of the status bar. If it says something like "12 of 20" then you know you are on document page 12 of the document's 20 pages. If it shows something else, either a default master page name or a custom one you have assigned to a master, then you know you are on a master page.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7