You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Windows Update from October 1st Crashing Publisher

Hello there friends,

Just thought I'd inform you that trying to click on "Start New Section" in any Affinity Publisher project immediately crashes the project as of the latest Windows Update (KB5017024). I uninstalled—or so I think since it still shows my computer as up to date and I can see the update in the history—and the problem went away.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem - Affinity Publisher crashed after image change, image move, image link, font change etc.  on both new and older documents. I have now resorted to uninstalling Windows 11 update, testing, uninstalling the next update, testing until Publisher started working again.

Rather tedious and now I daren't update Windows as working in Publisher is my main source of income and I need it to work. I also don't like falling behind on my Windows updates either..... bit of a problem.

54 minutes ago, Ervin Hajdú said:

I removed that file for the 3rd time,

Why?

Did you not follow the instructions to "prevent it being installed with future updates"?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

4 hours ago, Ervin Hajdú said:

What is the long-term solution?

The ideal long-term solution is that Microsoft ships a proper version of this update; one which does not break all the applications that use the Microsoft WPF framework for generating their user interfaces.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

45 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

There were at least 2 cumulative updates for the .net update cycle this month which installs the culprit version again.
Had to run the procedure myself 3 times too.

Did you have to run the procedure 3 times to exclude one specific KB number from reinstalling again or did you ultimately have to exclude 3 different KB numbers after the cumulative updates.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

26 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

The cumulative updates are with a different kb number but installs the KB5017262(win10) version again.
When done updating>restart pc>go to update history and it does show the 
KB5017262 again>uninstall this one (again)
Run winhideupdatetool again to find the newest kb number is the only one present>hide this one to have the .net issue go away(again).
(but yes 3 times it reinstalled already by a cumulative .net update)

Well, that is what I would expect if Microsoft are "constantly" including a problematic KB update in future cumulative updates.

You just have to hide them as they are released/detected

The only other option is to pause all updates for a while until Microsoft releases an update that does not cause the problem or Serif releases a patch/update for its 1.10.5 apps.  (Which is what I did as I'm too busy at the moment to deal with unexpected crashes during my work)

I'm having the same issue after MS forced an update to my machine as per it's usual habit.  Now I can not work with my Affinity Publisher program as it crashes incessantly as soon as I start working.  Is this something that Affinity can deal with, or do we have to wait for MS to figure out that they are causing problems with their update and fix it? Are there any steps I can take to mitigate this for the time being?  I'm trying to finish a document and i can't get more than five steps before Affinity Publisher crashes again.  I tried rebooting, but to no avail.  Thanks.

28 minutes ago, vbwyrde said:

Are there any steps I can take to mitigate this for the time being? 

If your problem is due to Windows update(s) then instructions are below as to how to remove those updates and prevent those specific updates from reinstalling again.

Once you have done that you can temporarily pause all updates to prevent new ones reintroducing the problem, as has been the case so far

Also, if hardware acceleration is on, switch it off in Edit > Preferences > Performance to eliminate it as a possible cause, as that can also cause crashes on some systems

Thank you for your advice.  That did fix the issue, however, Windows Update almost immediately popped up a window saying "Your advice will restart to update outside of active hours" and I'm pretty sure it is going to re-install the update.  I can pause updates but only for 7 days (Windows 10).  I tried the wushowhide cab, but it did not find the update and only showed two hardware driver updates instead, so I seem to have no way to block it.

On 10/16/2022 at 6:07 PM, carl123 said:

Serif releases a patch/update for its 1.10.5 apps.  (Which is what I did as I'm too busy at the moment to deal with unexpected crashes during my work)

Dear Serif, please patch or update for to this .net issue if possible.

Best Regards

Thank you for anything & everything.

‘‘কেউ শুধালে বোলো, আমি কাছের তো নই দূরের কেউ৷ সাগর বেলায় ধাক্কা দিয়ে মিলিয়ে যাওয়া প্রবল ঢেউ।’’ - নাদিয়া জামান