You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

psd import text rendering

I imported a PSD layered file into Affinity Designer and everything looked fine except the text/font rendering looked lighter in Affinity Designer. I think it had something to do with the anti-aliasing method setting in photoshop. Is there a way to set anti-aliasing in Affinity Designer?

• Staff

Hi dannyj,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity Designer doesn't have specific antialiasing settings as Photoshop, however you can control the Blend Gamma and Coverage Map for each object individually. To access these controls click on the cog icon on the top right of the Layers panel and adjust the values/curve as you see fit.

• 1 year later...

I have a layered PSD file which opens up 90% OK.

Half of the text is in the wrong place, but with a bit of work I can get it looking as it should.

HOWEVER, when I export back to PSD from both AP or AP the text layers end up as rendered rather as editable text! I've made sure that the Rasterise all layers option is unchecked, and tried both with and without Compatibility mode.

The very strange thing is I checked the Exported PSD in Illustrator and they are editable there!

Which Photoshop version is the PSD file meant to work with?

• Staff

Hi 3Dshark,

Affinity Designer/Photo don't yet export text as native photoshop text when exporting to PSD. This will be implemented in a future version.

Are you sure the file you opened in Illustrator was the same PSD and the text was editable as text or was simply text converted to curves and thus editable as shapes?

Hi MEB,

Well spotted! I looked again at the Illustrator and the text is rasterised there too. I just looked at the layers panel rather than trying to edit the text.

Any idea when the text layers are going to be supported? I'm using AD/AP in my workflow, but when I collaborate (which is 50% of my work) I have to supply PSD so am at the moment using Photoshop as well as AD/AP :(

• Staff

Hi 3Dshark,

There's no eta for this, sorry. We are well aware of its importance but this is not as easy task, the PSD format is poorly documented and we have limited resources (the dev teams are small) so it's something that still may take some time. Bear with us while we get there.