You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Image Placement Issue

Bonteburg

Windows 10 Home build 19043.2006

Publisher Version 1.10.5.1342

"Paste Inside" (ctrl+alt+v) doesn't work with images that were imported and then converted to picture frames.
Problem doesn't appear to occur with images that were placed inside an existing picture frame.

To replicate: 

1)
a) place image
b) convert to picture frame
c) make a new picture frame to intersect with the first one
d) copy the whole first picture frame and paste it into the new one via ctrl+alt+v 

Result: the image doesn't appear and at second glance gets seemingly randomly placed outside the visible part of the designated frame.

2)
a) create picture frame
b) place image into picture frame
c) repeat steps c) and d) of 1)

Result: Works as expected by placing the image at the exact same location inside the new picture frame.

EDIT: I find this incredibly hard to replicate consistently.
My best guess so far is that Publisher doesn't like some very specific order of changing image placement options after images have been placed and, once this elusive faux pas has occurred, subsequent image placements kind of "inherit" it. 

2 hours ago, LeeThorpe said:

this appears to affect pasting inside from external sources too. 

Good hint. While I was not able to reproduce this 'offset' issue in the initial thread with layers of the OP's documents I do get the issue when I use external files to paste inside Picture Frames.

Note below: I first paste an external file + get the offset … then, in the identical frame, an internal layer copy as described by the OP … but without offset.

From 0:57 min I paste in a series of newly created Picture Frames. The video shows the pasted images gets all pasted at the same position (near spread center) – while in a trial before recording every of the same pasted images were pasted at different positions on the spread, one even partially inside its frame.

Additional: at the end I try to paste an .afphoto document this way. It results in a pasted text frame, containing the file name, and offset, too.

EDIT: P.S.: @LeeThorpe just in case: I am in macOS, so move this thread my post if needed to the mac bugs forum.

Edited by thomaso
macOS info / inkl. correction

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I'm glad to have been of help (and to see it's really happening and not in my head :D)

I don't know if it belongs here but to anyone experiencing this here's a good quick fix:
- Select the missing pasted image frame in the layers panel. It will then get highlighted on the page it's actually been placed.
- Select the invisible object and drag it over to the correct page. By default, it will automatically align with the frame and yield the desired result.

3 hours ago, Bonteburg said:

a good quick fix:

… another fix would be not using the two-step way of Copy + Paste inside but more simple via either menu File > Place or just using the Place Image Tool. Both options insert inside an existing Picture Frame as expected.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1