You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher crash after write text in font line

• Staff
20 hours ago, eoaaeo said:

Just make the fix. I start to think cause in the V2 it doesn't happened you did for pourpose.

I bougth the V2 but I go back to the V1 is so much more smoothed and nicer to use.

MAKE THE FIX PLS.

The problem is also on Photo and Designer!

Good Morning all.

This is a nightmare. All of the various problems listed cause a crash; font name, changing embedded to linked and so on. Publisher is effectively useless at the moment.

System:  Publisher 1.10.5.1342 running on Windows 10 Pro 22H2 build 19045.2251. the pc is up to date at the moment.

I have  KB5017266 and KB5018544 installed but I am not allowed to remove MS updates. So I tried the workaround suggested by lacerto and unfortunately it didn't work. However I am not sure if .net 4.8 is 'active'. According to the regsitery I have the following entries:

However, the installed programs list doesn't list any .net programs except for the .NET Core 3.1.28

Do any of the options in 'Windows Features' have to be activated?

Thanks for any help

image.png

14 minutes ago, Stephen_M said:

So I tried the workaround suggested by lacerto and unfortunately it didn't work.

When you modified the app settings, did you also specify the version of .NET modules so that the version number was changed from 4.7.2 to 4.8? The issues happen only when you have 4.8.x modules installed (that is, when you have not uninstalled the updates), and when you have NOT disabled virtualization by changing the value to false (or by removing the whole entry). If you have left the version number to 4.7.2 while having 4.8.x installed, setting the virtualization value to false has no effect.

So the changed settings that should work when you have updated 4.8 modules installed are as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configuration>
    <startup>
      <supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.8"/>
    </startup>
    <runtime>
      <legacyCorruptedStateExceptionsPolicy enabled="true"/>
      <ThrowUnobservedTaskExceptions enabled="true"/>
    </runtime>
  <appSettings>
    <add key="IsVirtualizingStackPanel_45Compatible" value="false"/>
  </appSettings>
</configuration>

V1 does crash. V2 doesn't. It means it is possible to fix.

It intensifies my feeling you did V2 only to make more money at low effort.

ONE feature. ONE fix I long for since summer. Is it that much for a custumer to ask for?
Or the ONLY solution is to buy new product, as the new one is no longer supported?
Can't find neutral words how annoyed I am after so many months of waiting. Didn't find real fix here.

I use V1, well... thinking to goes back on more professional tool. very sad about.

Affinity make me a kind of sadness.

I was soo exited about the V2

and PLS goes back on the A0- A1- A2 format... architectural E format are only in USA and meybe also in UK aren't used.

On 10/19/2022 at 1:16 AM, lacerto said:

There is a known, easy workaround to disable the functionality that causes these issues in apps that use WPF based user interface and controls. Those users of Affinity apps that choose to keep the recent .NET 3.5 and 4.8.1 by default automatically applied recommended system updates (instead of rolling them back to avoid these rather limited Affinity-affected issues), might want to apply the easy fix given in this post to keep the updates and also avoid the issues caused by them.

Many thanks to @lacerto. 😀😀😀
You have saved me.

Because I can not use the V2 programs at the moment (I paid for them), so I continue to use V1 for work. yesterday @lacerto's solution saved me. Publisher 1.10.5 (Windows 10 22H2 all updates up to date) crashed on every action changing Preflight Profiles. I have many Preflight Comments in a large project and could no longer access them.
I found the solution recommended by the Affinity team to uninstall 9 Windows Updates not very professional and I hope there will be a solution here soon as the bug has been known for a very long time.  

I can recommend the solution from lacerto. Publisher V1 has not crashed since the change. I have saved the original Publisher.exe.config file and can go back at any time.

Desktop: Windows 10 22H2 / Intel i5-9600K / 32 GB RAM / Affinity Suite V1 (work) and Affinity Suite V2 (test) for Windows

@lacerto Hi dear where i've to do this change to keep V1 working? Thanks

So the changed settings that should work when you have updated 4.8 modules installed are as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configuration>
    <startup>
      <supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.8"/>
    </startup>
    <runtime>
      <legacyCorruptedStateExceptionsPolicy enabled="true"/>
      <ThrowUnobservedTaskExceptions enabled="true"/>
    </runtime>
  <appSettings>
    <add key="IsVirtualizingStackPanel_45Compatible" value="false"/>
  </appSettings>
</configuration>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In November, using Lacerto's solution method, I had a stable Publisher version 1.10.5. I worked daily for several weeks with no crashes.

Yesterday, after finishing a larger project, I updated to version 1.10.6. Shortly after that Publisher 1.10.6 crashed when I started the Resource Manager.  😬

Please, I need a stable publisher version to work with: whether it's V1 or V2.

Desktop: Windows 10 22H2 / Intel i5-9600K / 32 GB RAM / Affinity Suite V1 (work) and Affinity Suite V2 (test) for Windows

34 minutes ago, bsx said:

Yesterday, after finishing a larger project, I updated to version 1.10.6. Shortly after that Publisher 1.10.6 crashed when I started the Resource Manager. 

The 1.10.6 changes were supposed to address this failure, so I'm surprised they haven't.

However, the installation of 1.10.6 probably replaced the files that @lacerto suggested could be changed, and so you probably lost those changes you made. So perhaps you could just make those changes again?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks Walt for the advice.

Sure, the update has replaced the error workaround files. I don't want to work with these tricks in the long run, but with tested and released versions of Serif.

I am not a beta tester, I have to work.  In the best with a stable version.

• Staff
On 12/17/2022 at 3:38 PM, bsx said:

Thanks Walt for the advice.

Sure, the update has replaced the error workaround files. I don't want to work with these tricks in the long run, but with tested and released versions of Serif.

I am not a beta tester, I have to work.  In the best with a stable version.

After installing 1.10.6 are you still having issues scrolling fonts or just with the Resource Manager? If it's just the Resource Manager then you could have a different issue. Are you having the same issues with V2 too?

Hello Leight,

I have now tested it again and today I can not reproduce the crash in Publisher V 1.10.6 on my computer.  
I think, there was no problem with the font selection.

When I opening a publisher file, the program reported missing resources. I wanted to sort in the resource manager to the status - in this moment Publisher crashes.

I will continue to monitor the problem and report it here.

I have just tested it with V2 (loaded the V1 files and performed some actions). V2 Publisher did not crash in this test.