You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't Move Layers in Affinity Photo due to a Mysterious 'Hidden' Object

DelN

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but I have been working on a file for a few days now and suddenly - today - I find that most of the layers in the file are somehow locked and unmoveable. They seem to be linked to a 'hidden' shape/object (which you can see in the screengrab that I have attached). The layer I have selected isn't the one with the sizing handles, it is the other one. The one with the sizing handles is the 'hidden' object that is preventing me from editing the other layers.

No layer is locked in the 'Layers' panel. I am using the latest version of Affinity Photo, and Windows 10.

Maybe I have done something wrong, but I have never experienced it before in Affinity Photo and it is baffling me.

Can you help? Do you have any ideas what it might be?

Thanks,

DelN

Screengrab.jpg

Can you upload the APhoto document?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi carl123,

Sorry I haven't got back sooner. I'm recovering from a knee replacement operation.

I have attached the Affinity Photo file with the 'hidden' unseen object, which seems to be controlling most layers from being edited, moved, resized, re-coloured, etc.

I tried ungrouping layers (to release them from the group), deleting layers I didn't need to see if that would solve it, but it was still there. Then I had an idea to save it down as a Photoshop file, then open it in Affinity Photo (or Corel Painter 2022), which did actually remove the 'hidden' unseen object. Both Affinity Photo and Corel Painter files were OK after that.

So I have attached this file as well, just in case it helps you identify the problem. Or maybe its something that I have done... 🙂

Thank you.

DelN

Red Devil WomanTO SEND.afphoto 710827140_RedDevilWomanTOSENDnowPhotoshop.psd

On 10/1/2022 at 7:05 AM, DelN said:

Sorry I haven't got back sooner. I'm recovering from a knee replacement operation.

That's OK

I'm still recovering from excessive alcohol consumption yesterday

Your file problem is something to do with a pixel selection

If you simply do Select > Deselect it seems to resolve the issue, although I have not thoroughly tested the document

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.