You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher crashes when opening specific document, no crash message

TuriKvisle

1 hour ago, TuriKvisle said:

Publisher crashes every time I try to open this document. I've tried re-linking some images

Just curious - how can you try to relink images when APublisher crashes every time you open the document?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

I'm able to open the document without the images. Of course I don't have the images so I can't try relinking but here are two things you might try.

1. Rename the folder(s) the images are in. Open the document and ignore the prompts to relink the images. The document will now be open but the image previews may be fuzzy. Choose File Save As and save under another name. Close the document. Rename the image folders back to their original names. Re-open the document. If this works it was the easy one. If this didn't work try #2.
  2. Rename the folder(s) the images are in. Open the document and ignore the prompts to relink the images. The document will now be open but the image previews may be fuzzy. Choose File Save As and save as file1.afpub. Make a copy of that file with macOS or Windows. Delete half the document and save as file2.afpub. Close that and re-open file1.afpub and delete the other half. Save and close that document. Now you have two files each with half your document. Rename the image folders back to their original names. Re-open both documents, one at a time. I assume if #1 didn't work that one of these two will crash but the other will be okay. If that's the case, take the problematic one and repeat this exercise, slowly dividing it into halves until you figure out where the problem is located. This could take some time.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

15 hours ago, MikeTO said:

I'm able to open the document without the images.

Thank you, at least I know now that the images are the problem. Unfortunately your methods didn't work. Even if I rename all the folders containing images and ignore the relink prompt, Publisher still crashes after the prompt is gone. I am now working on the file in Designer (which has no problem opening it) and doing the index in Word. It works for now, and I'm at least able to meet my deadline.

15 minutes ago, TuriKvisle said:

Thank you, at least I know now that the images are the problem. Unfortunately your methods didn't work. Even if I rename all the folders containing images and ignore the relink prompt, Publisher still crashes after the prompt is gone. I am now working on the file in Designer (which has no problem opening it) and doing the index in Word. It works for now, and I'm at least able to meet my deadline.

Oh that's odd since the document loaded fine for me with 1.10.5. It's too late now but we could have tried having me re-saving your document and sending it back to you to try. At least you're able to move forward.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)