You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Node spacing doesn't work

Colorwaves

Hi!

I'm using the newest Affinity Designer (1.10.5.1342) on WIN 10.

1. I select some nodes on a curve using the node tool.
2. I would expect to be able to use the node spacing tools in this situation. But they stay disabled. Only the alignement tools are active.

Videos seem to show this feature working properly. Has this function been removed? Is this a bug, or some kind of wrong settings or mistake I do?

See the screenshot. 

Thanks!

Node Spacing - Screenshot 2022-09-29 124134.jpg

• Staff

Hi @Colorwaves,

The above screen recording is taken within the Designer Persona of Affinity Publisher, which shows the correct workflow you need to follow in order to distribute the nodes across the Curve object.

I would recommend watching this video and trying the steps for yourself, as I'm not certain why you've reported this post.

If you're still having trouble, please let us know!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thank you for the answer!

Yes, there is a case spacing does work. See the new attached screenshot. From my point of view this is either a bug or an inconsistency in the interface design. Identical looking icons do not work identically. 

The reason for reporting was uncertainty. That's why I didn't click on the video.

• The answer came extremely quickly
  • But the posting person doesn't seem to be a member
  • The link seems to point to another page
  • The image showed Affinity Publisher and not Designer.
  • On various other forums I have often seen malicious links posted in a similar manner.

Sorry again for the reporting. I was wrong.

Bug or interface design inconsistency.jpg

• Staff
3 minutes ago, Colorwaves said:

Yes, there is a case spacing does work. See the new attached screenshot. From my point of view this is either a bug or an inconsistency in the interface design. Identical looking icons do not work identically. 

Thank you for the further screenshots provided! I can confirm I'm able to replicate this here and I do believe this to be a bug in the UI, as there's no obvious reason why these icons shouldn't function as the 'Alignment' flyout does - therefore I'm getting this logged with our developers now!

4 minutes ago, Colorwaves said:

The reason for reporting was uncertainty. That's why I didn't click on the video.

(...)

Sorry again for the reporting. I was wrong.

No problem at all, I certainly understand and I appreciate the clarification :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Colorwaves: I think it’s worth noting that, in your first screenshot, you had multiple Curve layers selected and the distribution functionality can’t work with multiple curves – there’s no way to distribute the spacings across different curves.

Ignore this post. It's just plain wrong; just me not doing stuff right, again.

Edited by GarryP
Clarification.

14 minutes ago, GarryP said:

there’s no way to distribute the spacings across different curves.

That's not quite true 😉

a) Only nodes of a single curve were explicitly selected. That is possible. An usual aligning is very well possible

b) And it is also possible to do node spacing for nodes on several curves in one go. The node distances are then correct, but the curves may change unfavorably. So it is only interesting in very special cases.

However, the buttons themselves must function identically in both cases.