You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Easy way to release objects from a rectangle? Designer

Hello I use a lot of rectangles to contain many objects and/or texts, but some times I need them all out of th rectangle but are too many and I get lost in the layers panel where I usually select everything in the rectangle and pull it outside of it.

Is there an easier way to do that? Like for example when I do the same in illustrator with a clipping mask I can release clipping mask.

Thank you!

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

2 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

Rightclick on the layer in the layerspanel,there should be a release option present.
It may differ per object as there's also release mask, release adjustment and release filter.
Maybe for multiple items group them first and release the group.

Hello thanks for your reply but this is just moving the "curve" outside the artboard.

Current Workstation:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 - MOBO: Asus B450 - RAM: 16GB DDR4 2667Mhz - GPU: AMD Radeon 7850 1GB
NVMe SSD: Crusial P3 1TB M.2 -  SSD: Samsung Evo 850 256GB  - PSU: XFX TS450 - OS: Win10

1 hour ago, N.P.M. said:

You didn't mention artboards anywhere.
You said rectangles and childs of these rectangles.
But artboards are basicly clipping masks so what did you expect?

What do you mean? Even in a document without artboard the "release" on the layer is not even available and as of that still not working.

Current Workstation:

@nitro912gr, can you perhaps upload a screen recording of the issue you're facing so it makes more sense.

1. Why are you using rectangles to contain objects and texts rather than just adding them to a group?

2. If you do have objects and text nested within a rectangle then, as others have mentioned, selecting the object in the Layers Panel and Right Clicking gives you the option to Release that object which will then place it outside it's parent element. It makes little sense when you say "this is just moving the "curve" outside the artboard".

Something visual will be a great help in solving your issue...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

12 minutes ago, Hangman said:

@nitro912gr, can you perhaps upload a screen recording of the issue you're facing so it makes more sense.

1. Why are you using rectangles to contain objects and texts rather than just adding them to a group?

2. If you do have objects and text nested within a rectangle then, as others have mentioned, selecting the object in the Layers Panel and Right Clicking gives you the option to Release that object which will then place it outside it's parent element. It makes little sense when you say "this is just moving the "curve" outside the artboard"

Something visual will be a great help in solving your issue...

1. to make a clipping mask. and cut anything outside the first object by moving anything else inside/below it.

2. As I said I tried that and instead of releasing the objects from being nested below the rectangle, it just move the rectangle outside the artboard. Notice, outside the artboard in the layers menu, not in the screen.

I made a video but it doesn't show the menu when I right click the layer, so when you see the mouse moving to the character panel, is when I do the "release" with right click on the curve.

edit: didn't see what @N.P.M. posted, I was selecting the object not what it's inside it.

Good to know but I'm actually looking for something that doesn't need to select everything inside because sometimes I have those stupid graphics with hundreds little pieces and the list is huge to go select them all

Edited by nitro912gr

Current Workstation:

It looks as though you have the Rectangle selected when you select Release which will move it and all it's contents to be outside the Artboard. If you only want individual layers to appear outside you rectangle but still on the Artboard then you need to select the layers themselves and then right click and select Release...

thank you both, if you have any other way to do this without needing to select everything inside, it would be a life saver for me. Or if there is a way to "select all" withing the object.

Current Workstation:

If you want to select everything inside the rectangle with a view to moving those items outside the rectangle then simply group those items inside the rectangle as @N.P.M. mentioned either as a whole or in relevant groups...