You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Getting blend modes recognized in exported PDF

(Windows) Affinity Publisher

If a (vector PDF) layer's blend mode gets set to anything other than Normal; e.g., Multiply, Screen, etc., that layer is simply not being included in the exported PDF. Does this bug have any workaround(s)?

image.png.ef39dbd521ae628bd6faba7075c52564.png

image.png.a2ff0c8ffc0c8444231a702d367befcb.png

Edited by Kelly Bellis
Update title to reflect workaround

7 minutes ago, Kelly Bellis said:

If a (vector PDF) layer's blend mode gets set to anything other than Normal; e.g., Multiply, Screen, etc., that layer is simply not being included in the exported PDF.

Works fine for me.

In Publisher:

image.png.ab8898ce3971d519ec7f9fe038f54008.png

In exported PDF:

image.png.426314fd8590f4fc41e9a2ac913cc9ac.png

So, it's going to be something about your file, and not as simple as "it just doesn't work".

Can you supply the .afpub file and PDF for us to examine?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks for the reply Walt!

I'm not sure if the PDF file [Mapping Sullivan RR - vector data for  Page 5.pdf] that's being overlaid onto [Mapping Sullivan RR - Page 5.pdf], both of which are generated in Global Mapper Pro v24.0, is at fault, or if there's something else going on.

The APub exported file [Blend mode test.pdf] is using Normal, while [test.pdf] was using a non-Normal blend setting for the layer [Mapping Sullivan RR - vector data for  Page 5.pdf]

Blend mode test.afpub Blend mode test.pdf test.pdf

• Staff

Hi @Kelly Bellis,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

I can confirm that the 'digital -high quality' PDF preset that you have selected doesn't support 'Advanced Features' by default, which are required for this document setup.

If you open the Export dialog, then select the 'More...' options, in the dialog that appears, scroll to the bottom of the list and make sure that 'Allow Advanced Features' is ticked:

image.png

You should now find these layers, and the blend mode, are included when exporting :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thanks @DanC - that certainly did make a difference! Much appreciated!! 👍

Is there anyway to preserve the geospatial aspects of the original PDFs in the AfPub PDF export? For example, in the files that I uploaded earlier, you can open; e.g., https://forum.affinity.serif.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=242091&key=18a3760a9185778eca6a5d9fe6c5bd4d in most GIS software and it will be correctly placed on the map.

• Staff

No problem at all, I'm happy to help!

14 minutes ago, Kelly Bellis said:

there anyway to preserve the geospatial aspects of the original PDFs in the AfPub PDF export?

I'm not personally familiar with this in regards to PDFs or GIS software, my apologies - do you know where this information is saved in the PDF file you've linked to? As I've checked this document within Acrobat Preflight and I cannot see any additional information that defines this.

For example, I've compared the Metadata of the PDF you've provided to the PDF that Affinity generates and it appears almost identical, so I'm not 100% certain where this information would be stored.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thank you @DanC for your reply. I'll try and find you the best answer to your question; and in the meantime, you can try dragging and dropping the geo-PDFs (linked above) and dropping them in Global Mapper. This method of drag & drop placement applies to tons of other spatial data including any photos taken on your device with location turned on - immediate spatial gratification :)  You can down load a free, fully functioning trial of Global Mapper to play with here: https://www.bluemarblegeo.com/global-mapper/

Here's the skinny from the developer:

There is a Wiki page at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geospatial_PDF with some description. There are also details for the Adbove standard encoding at https://www.loc.gov/preservation/digital/formats/fdd/fdd000315.shtml, and the TerraGo GeoPDF encoding at https://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=40537 .

For the Adobe standard, the measure dictionary is where the information is pulled from.

• Staff

Many thanks for providing this information for me, it's certainly helpful!

I can confirm however that the Affinity apps are unable to create or retain this information when exporting to PDF currently, as it requires an additional library that we don't include, my apologies.

However this makes for a great feature request for a future version, so I will be sure to log this as a request with our developers in our internal log now.

In the meantime, a suggested workaround has been provided here, though untested;

I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

Many thanks!