You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Guides not snapping to hole geometry

Hi everyone, I've just hit a snag with a project I'm working on where I appear to be unable to snap guides to nodes on the curves of holes. My (original) workaround was to create a rectangle that snapped to the hole geometry and then snap the guide to the rectangle but now I've a bigger job with non-rectangular holes and this is getting a little tedious.

image.png.240608b4f1eaba0751cc298be76e8dbc.png

The blue guide will snap to the left edge of the pink rectangle but not to the edge of the rectangular hole (in a yellow circle).

The edge shows in purple indicating that it is a candidate for snapping.

image.png.2be4b6a241e7f83351932b728fc7e718.png

Turning off bounding box snapping results in the ruler not snapping to anything. Indicating that previously the ruler was only snapping to the bounding box and not the geometry. The pink rectangle will snap to the hole nodes/vertices and curves/edges though!

I'm guessing that guides use a subset of snapping and align differently compared to when you are moving other types of objects around.

The online help is a little fuzzy on this and uses the terms objects, curves and vertices in the description but doesn't elaborate on any differences with guides as far as I could see.

This isn't a showstopper as I can use other objects/shapes for alignment. However, using guides would have reduced the risk of unexpected shapes ending up in the final print-ready artwork.

So, am I doing something wrong or is this just the way it works?

3 hours ago, lacerto said:

One additional note I forgot to show on the clip: to move an existing guide with the Node tool, grab it from the ruler area (you cannot select it from within the canvas).

I'd figured that out but thanks for letting me know I'm sure it will be useful to anyone else who goes down the same pathway.

I now realise that I was "blinded" by the fact that I was in the Move Tool [V] mode all the time so this possibility never appears in the UI and is therefore not discoverable.