You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Crashes When Searching for Font Even with One Font Installed

SuperUser

2 minutes ago, Holgi said:

Will Serif fix this bug or what will happen next?

There are web postings indicating it happens to more applications than Affinity, possibly anything built using the WPF functionality of Windows. My guess is that it's something Microsoft will fix, and they simply released a bad patch that has caused the problem.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, arsonfly said:

I uninstalled the only update in that list that was available to be uninstalled KB5018341 on Win11 and Designer still crashes on searching for font. What else can I do?

Please upload a screenshot showing your installed updates

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Let all updates installed, for security reasons. Then use the follwing solution:

• Open the directory in which the Affinity programmes are installed. As a rule, C:\Programme\Affinity\(Desinger ...Photo ...Publisher)
  • Search and open the .exe.config file (for example Designer.exe.config) with a text editor.
  • Search for "<add key="IsVirtualizingStackPanel_45Compatible" value="true"/>"
  • Replace the value true with the value false.
  • Save the file (administrative rights are required to overwrite!)

You should reset this setting as soon as Microsoft provides a fix for this problem.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

On 11/1/2022 at 11:26 AM, arsonfly said:

So these are the ones that are able to be uninstalled and the list of installed updates is attached as well, however they give me no option to uninstall them. 

You should be able to find Uninstall Updates link on the bottom of the Update History screen.
Or  search Control Panel from the search icon on the Taskbar.
https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/computer-acting-up-how-to-uninstall-a-windows-10-update

Correct but it only allows me to uninstall those four updates and the one I uninstalled. It turns out I can actually scroll the fonts just fine so I'm going to do that until Microsoft fixes the problem.  I appreciate your help. I think Microsoft just doesn't let you uninstall updates after a certain period. 

I have installed windows 11 update 22h2 and the problem is not solved. It's crashing in font search with loss of data. Since v2 is releases today will these critical bugs get fixed? Or is the software getting useless?

I don't have the money to upgrade double priced software and don't need new features. Only need a stable software.

On 11/1/2022 at 3:43 PM, Komatös said:

Let all updates installed, for security reasons. Then use the follwing solution:

• Open the directory in which the Affinity programmes are installed. As a rule, C:\Programme\Affinity\(Desinger ...Photo ...Publisher)
  • Search and open the .exe.config file (for example Designer.exe.config) with a text editor.
  • Search for "<add key="IsVirtualizingStackPanel_45Compatible" value="true"/>"
  • Replace the value true with the value false.
  • Save the file (administrative rights are required to overwrite!)

You should reset this setting as soon as Microsoft provides a fix for this problem.

Thank you that worked ❤️. Very sad that you have to search the internet and forums to find this very simple solution. The developers could have included this as a mini bugfix....

Do you know where i can find the config file on the apps from the windows store? my publisher is from there.

3 hours ago, sbstn said:

Do you know where i can find the config file on the apps from the windows store? my publisher is from there.

Programmes from the Microsoft Store are stored in a protected folder and require special access rights (Trusted Installer).

The default path is C:\Programmes\WindowsApps\.

If you know what you are doing, you can temporarily change the access rights with the programme 'TakeOwnership'. After you have done what you wanted to do, you should use the programme to set the rights back to the original state.

Download link: Click here to download the file

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

IMPORTANT UPDATE for anyone still using V1 Affinity applications - 

Versions 1.10.6 of the Affinity suite have been released, which resolve these .NET Windows crashes.

Please see the below link for information on how to download and install these updates:

With the Affinity updates installed, you can now un-hide any previous Windows updates you have paused and install these without concern.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 2 months later...
On 11/9/2022 at 7:50 PM, sbstn said:

Thank you that worked ❤️. Very sad that you have to search the internet and forums to find this very simple solution. The developers could have included this as a mini bugfix....

Faced this problem recently, glad this solution works! Thank you.