You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

heavy color shift in Printing

AndreL

I believe there is a bug using the Printer Canon  pro-200 while letting the affinity app doing the color management.

As an example I show the printing results with a reference picture with embedded sRGB RBG profile. ( see attached)
Softproofing the Photo for Canon PRO-200/S1 Photo Paper Plus Glossy IIA profile and relative colorimetric rendering  looks good  as in the softproof attachment.

After switching off the proofing layer and printing with Affinity doing the color management as in the menu below leads to an unacceptable color shift in the print as in the attachment: print AP color management.

The menu setting are as in the attachment: Printer Settings

Letting the Printer doing the color management gives a result as in the attachment: Printer doing Color Management.

Selecting the sRGB as printer profile also results in good prints, but no example is attached here.

The enclosed pictures are screenshots, not  scans from the print but they look very much the same.

What is wrong here? Or should I select the embedded profile as printer profile?
Let me know if you need additional information or have questions.

Reference Print printer 2362x3543pixel.jpg

softprroof .png

print AP doing color management.png

printer settings.png

Printer doing color management.png

• Staff

Hi @AndreL welcome to the forums,

Have you seen different print results if your file is converted to the same ICC profile as your printer profile? If not, it would be beneficial if you could provide the sample .afphoto file you're printing from so we can investigate further.

I'll then try and replicate this, unfortunately I don't have access to you exact model of printer and therefore cannot use the same ICC profile however I'll try this on a similar device.

Hi Nathan

I attached the  .afphoto I used for the pictures above as you asked.

I also did a test converting the original jpg ( with embedded sRGB)   to a jpg with embedded profile Canon PRO-200S1/Photo Paper Plus Glossy IIA as you suggested, but am getting the same result: The soft proof in AP looks OK but the print has a strong color shift. ( I of course disable the Softproof before printing)

BTW: The Canon Pro-200 driver has the option of previewing the print. This preview shows the same strong color shift as the physical print. However I don't think you can use this preview option if the driver has no connection to the printer.

Calibration_Chart.afphoto

• Staff

Hi @AndreL,

Thanks for providing me with your file,

I have been able to replicate the colour shift on a Canon IX6850 but only if I adjust the Color/Intensity CMY sliders within the Printer driver settings after enabling 'Color/Intensity Manual Adjustment' If you disable this option, Apply and restart Photo and print again does this shift still occur?

image.png

Yes. I still am getting that shift  when disabling the manual adjustment. In fact I get that shift for all Canon Pro200/paper combinations. When selecting  non Pro200 profile as US Web Uncoated, then the print looks OK ( though not exactly as the SoftProof). 

As extra information: When i select the Canon IJ color printer profile , which is I believe a standard sRGB profile usable for all canon ink jet printers, then I get decent prints with AP handling the color management as long as I avoid the absolute colourimetric rendering intent. What surprises me since normally the differences in the rendering intent are subtile.

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know, since I don't have access to the same printer (and thereby ICC profiles) this will be more difficult for me to replicate internally since this isn't being encountered on a similar device and profiles, if this problem is only limited to when the application is set to colour manage it may be best to keep the driver/printer as the colour manager when printing as a workaround. I'll see if anything further can be done.