You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

FONT search crashes Designer PC

thegary

This just started today. Very weird. Haven't changed my system.

When i select my text and go to the text font window to change the font. I used to be able to type the name and it would show the font.

It immediately crashes designer when I do this. If i click in the area where the font name is and delete the name, on the last character it will crashed the program. 

I now have to select the drop down menu and click the font for it to work. 

Any suggestions why this might happen or a fix?

Thanks

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

9 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

Uninstall your version and use the tool linked here to make it not install again after the uninstalling

AWESOME! Thank you very much. Worked a treat.

Thought i was going crazy. Probably am, but not for this at least.

THANKS AGAIN!

Gary

Windows 11 Pro, Ryzen 9 7950x, 64GB DDR5 6000mhz, Nvidia 4080 OC 16gb, Dell 38inch curved monitor.

• 1 month later...

Hello this crash has started again.

But the CULPRIT Windows update is not there.

HOW DO I STOP THIS. Designer crashes eveytime i type a font. 

I have to manually find and its taking way to long.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gar

4 minutes ago, thegary said:

Hello this crash has started again.

But the CULPRIT Windows update is not there.

HOW DO I STOP THIS. Designer crashes eveytime i type a font. 

I have to manually find and its taking way to long.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gar

I found it .......UPDATE now ending in 8329 is causing it. Came out yesterday.

Gary

18 minutes ago, 21Pilots said:

I also have this crashing issue

You will have the same solutions, described above.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

This one hit me too today. It's very annoying and very repeatable. 

I know it's easy and probably correct to blame Microsoft for this one, but please reassure us that a fix will be included in a future update to Designer. Having the app crash is quite shocking these days. Surely a try/catch/warning/broken feature would be a simple safeguard to implement and a least worst option. Better still, a fix...

4 hours ago, SimonGidney said:

I know it's easy and probably correct to blame Microsoft for this one, but please reassure us that a fix will be included in a future update to Designer. Having the app crash is quite shocking these days. Surely a try/catch/warning/broken feature would be a simple safeguard to implement and a least worst option. Better still, a fix...

I am sure they will fix it. Its annoying that it happens..But at least we know why. Easy to stop.

Looking forward to what AFFINITY has for us in the next release.

Gary

On 10/28/2022 at 10:44 AM, SimonGidney said:

I second this, I'd really love some word from up high by now. Doesn't need to be a fix, just a word that affinity is aware of the issue, and either are bringing it to the attention of microsoft or are fixing it themselves. Because right now my base assumption would be that neither microsoft nor affinity are aware of this let alone in the process of fixing.

4 minutes ago, Concibar said:

I second this, I'd really love some word from up high by now. Doesn't need to be a fix, just a word that affinity is aware of the issue, and either are bringing it to the attention of microsoft or are fixing it themselves. Because right now my base assumption would be that neither microsoft nor affinity are aware of this let alone in the process of fixing.

"we've reported this to Microsoft and they have logged it as a bug to be fixed, therefore we're currently awaiting a new .NET Windows update to resolve this issue."

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 minute ago, MartinMHC said:

This exact same issue occurs to me on all Affinity products

Just remove updates ending in 17262 and 8329.

Until a fix is issued.

Gary

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

UPDATE for anyone still using V1 Affinity applications - 

Versions 1.10.6 of the Affinity suite have been released, which resolve these .NET Windows crashes.

Please see the below link for information on how to download and install these updates:

With the Affinity updates installed, you can now un-hide any previous Windows updates you have paused and install these without concern.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

UPDATE for anyone still using V1 Affinity applications - 

Versions 1.10.6 of the Affinity suite have been released, which resolve these .NET Windows crashes.

Please see the below link for information on how to download and install these updates:

With the Affinity updates installed, you can now un-hide any previous Windows updates you have paused and install these without concern.

Thank you for this update. appreciated.

Now just itching for MSI installers so i can use V2.

Gary

• Staff
20 minutes ago, thegary said:

Now just itching for MSI installers so i can use V2.

We are hoping to get this released in a few weeks (so planned release before the launch sale ends). In order to work it will need to contain the first patch (2.0.x) as the initial released 2.0.0 build does not work correctly outside of the sandboxes MSIX install location 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

31 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

We are hoping to get this released in a few weeks (so planned release before the launch sale ends). In order to work it will need to contain the first patch (2.0.x) as the initial released 2.0.0 build does not work correctly outside of the sandboxes MSIX install location 

Thanks for the update.  Looking forward to it. Watching your new video Dreamphography’ brushes in Affinity Photo 2 with Felix Hernandez.

Gary