You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

move a rotated object to a snapped point on another object

Not as Shapes, but as curves. Use the node tool on curves, select all the nodes on the Right (red) curve and drag the red circled corner to the blue circled corner node. If you only select the one node on the Right curve (rectangle) then only that node will move and the shape will be distorted.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I tried the Point Transform Tool and was able to align the rectangles but had to resize the right one after snapping the upper left corner to the left rectangle and then moving the "center point" of the object. It took some messing with. Is there a better way than that or is that basically the method?

You can use the Point Transform Tool as mentioned above but you need to use the Translate sub-functionality.
On Windows this is achieved using the Right-Mouse-Button but on macOS it’s different – see the Status Bar and/or the Help for more details.

Clarification (For Windows users): Select the shape, select the Point Transform Tool, hold the Left-mouse-button down on the point you want to move then, while still holding the Left-mouse-button down, hold the Right-mouse-button down and, while holding both mouse buttons down, move the shape to where you want it and then release the Left-mouse-button first and then release the Right-mouse button, in that order (it doesn’t work when releasing the mouse buttons the other way round).

See attached video.

Note: You may also need to activate the “Snap to geometry of selected curves” option on the Context Toolbar.

Edited by GarryP
Added clarification.

6 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

This means holding both left and right mouse buttons to drag the object around.

It’s an awkward way to do things but it’s what the developers want/expect us to do (just on Windows).

Even with that extra bit of hand-coordination-awkwardness, I prefer just to press the two mouse buttons rather than noting down rotation angles, resetting them, moving, and then re-applying the angles.

Each to their own though.

• Staff
14 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

I don´t get where the issue is - as with N.P.M. the Point Transform Tool is all it needs imho:

image.gif.7f718d6c7f4ef924c4e5a2ddfa3e8a86.gif

And this is the correct answer!

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

3 hours ago, N.P.M. said:

Sometimes we forget stuff, must be an age thing. 

And for me, sometimes I didn't learn the stuff in the first place. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.