You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cloning Colors / Eye Dropper Tool Shortcut?

Is there a short cut / shortcut key for quickly cloning the color of one object to another?

For example, I have a square that is purple and a circle that is orange. I select the circle and would like to sample the color from the square to turn it purple. 

The only way I can seemingly do it is to select and drag the eyedropper tool (from the color palette), then sample the color from the square. Then I need to select my circle then click the colored sample from the eyedropper in the palette to change it's color.

Basically, I'm looking for the exact same function that illustrator provides when sampling / cloning colors and I have to assume Affinity Designer would not make it a three step process when it could be one. In illustrator you can quickly shortcut key to the Eyedropper tool and it changes the current objects color to anyone that you sample.

Thanks everyone!

post-1358-0-97109500-1412693537_thumb.png

+1

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

To clarify, it doesn't even have to be the color of one object. Is there a shortcut key to sample any color on your screen and turn the current selected objects color to said sample? I must be missing something because every other application does this more efficiently?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Yes!!  An eyedropper-like tool would be fantastic for working with limited color print designs!!  

So far I've been eyeballing it as I go, and the recently used swatches box does tend to help, but I notice the some of the swatches tend to fall off the edge so I can't go back to them after having worked on other sections with other colors.  I'll be watching this thread!  :)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

+1

I'd really like to be able to do what I used to do on Illustrator:

1) Press the "v" key

2) Select one or more vector objects of which I want to change color

3) Press the "i" key

4) The mouse pointer turns into an eyedropper

5) Move the mouse pointer over an object that has the color I want to pick up

6) Click with the left-mouse button

7) See the selected objects changing their filling color to the same color (or gradient) I just picked up with the eyedropper  (or their border color if this is selected in the palette window) 

• 2 weeks later...

Recently I have downloaded Affiity Photo Beta, and it instantly bought me! App is tending to become Photoshop best competition, if not better!

But there is a journey which this app needs to travel to become better then PS, and including eyedropper is one of the functionalities that is a must to!

Cheers!

Alex

I have found that although an eyedropper seems to be the perfect tool for copying styles and recoloring other objects with the same, the good old copy and paste is hard to beat in terms of efficiency and practicality. It may not be sexy but it gets the job done, and quick too. 

• 2 months later...

Having no eyedropper is one of the reasons I still have to use Pixelmator for some work - it's a lot faster with an eyedropper tool and an option key to activate it!
I like an option-key + click to select while using a painting/drawing tool. Fast and simple.

• 3 months later...

I'm just starting out with AD after a long time with AI.

I really like a lot of the AD tools so far, but seemingly little things like this eye dropper color change issue that I constantly use in AI but are absent in AD are a bit of a downer. Some features seem hidden in cmd keys, which is fine, but some are just not there.

Another is the magic wand tool in AI.

I can't seem to find a replacement for it in AD. It's one of those tools that seems so stupid to have in Illustrator, until you use it the "wrong" way. I use it all the time to select the same colored or gradient objects, all the lines of a same width etc. in a doc and either alter them by dropping the tolerance to zero. Really nice for when your document gets 80 layers of junk in the trunk going.

I also use the magic wand to break out art work handed to me that is collapsed and not in layers. Select same as would at least be a start, but that's not as quick to use.

Again, not trying to say AD isn't great- or that many of the features it does have don't blow AI out of the water, just that there are a few, all be it boring, but much needed/loved things that seem to be missing, and will drive me back to using AI for the time being.

I'll probably buy AD just to support the cause anyway- I'm not happy with Adobe and their lack of progress. AI hasn't budged much until recently in terms of development, and that budging is only because Affinity and Astute exist IMHO.

Sorry if I'm coming off as another one of the crusty old Illustrator users that I am- honestly like a lot about AD so far and want it to destroy AI.

• Staff

Hi gidkid,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Thank you for your feedback. We are aware that there's still work to do in some areas (including some of the existing features!) but we are getting closer ^_^. The ability to select objects by their attributes (fill, stroke etc) is already planned for a future version.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @MilitaryRaiden,

The Colour picker is available from the Colour tab. Drag it to the canvas to pick a colour, then press the small colour well near the icon to make that colour active (or to apply to a vector object if it's selected). You can also invoke it pressing ⌥ (option/alt) + drag from certain tools, like the brushes.

This would indeed be an awesome feature. I think it should provide the ability to SELECT an exact transparency / color / stroke from an object or ALT + SELECT a raw display color (which wouldn't care about the settings of an object or whether it was raster, etc., but would instead just grab the color being shown to you).

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi @MilitaryRaiden,

The Colour picker is available from the Colour tab. Drag it to the canvas to pick a colour, then press the small colour well near the icon to make that colour active (or to apply to a vector object if it's selected). You can also invoke it pressing ⌥ (option/alt) + drag from certain tools, like the brushes.

Don't you see how frustrating it is to do it over and over again, especially for icon designer and UI designer? Why don't you just do "I" as a hotkey for color picker like Illustrator? What's wrong with that?

The option drag method is fine for picking a color to draw the next object but traditional eye dropper tools allow you to both pick a color & "drop" it onto an existing object. In vector apps this usually can be done on fills or strokes individually by positioning the tool over one or the other.

Compare that to how this must be done in Affinity, which after picking the color requires switching tools to select an existing object & fiddling around in the color panel or context menu. On a large screen with the context menu & Studio panels far from where you might be working in the document, this is particularly tedious because of how far you have to move the mouse to get it all done.

Or think about it in terms of a real eyedropper. They have two functions, one to load & the other to drop. Affinity doesn't provide the second function, the one that gives the device half its name.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.0 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7