You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 1.10.5 on Catalina 10.15.7 not closing

roseha

I  have had Affinity Photo since 2021 and the current version I have is 1.10.5.  I am running it on a Mac Mini on Catalina 10.15.7.  As of the last few days I am not able to close or quit or force quit Affinity Photo.  I would like to keep using it even if I had to delete it and download it again, but it's at the point where I can't even restart or shut down the mac because Affinity Photo will not quit.  I attempted to trash it but got a message that it was "open" meanwhile attempting to open it or open a photo with it gives the message "not responding".

Please advise!

• Staff

Hi @roseha welcome to the forums,

It would be best to start with a reboot of your Mac to then see if the behaviour continues following a reboot, if Photo refuses to close by normal means and is blocking a restart, you can force quit an app via activity monitor, see the apple guide below on how to do this:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/activity-monitor/actmntr1002/mac

If the behaviour continues after a reboot, try running through the below to reset Photo to it's default settings:

1. With the app closed, hold down Ctrl and open Photo from the dock whilst holding down Ctrl
  2. A menu will appear with three boxes ticked, Press 'Clear' at the bottom right hand corner
  3. Photo will now launch, try and close down Photo

Hello Nathan

Thank you for your reply.

I have followed the directions and when the computer rebooted Affinity was closed.  However when I opened it again and cleared the three top boxes it closed briefly but now I cannot close the app or open it.  It is hanging again.

I have looked at Activity Monitor and there is no reference to Affinity Photo or Serif anywhere.

Should I have cleared all the boxes not just the top three?  I don't think I can close it again without cutting power to the computer which I would rather not keep doing.

Thank you

• Staff

Hi @roseha,

Just to clarify, at this point does the app appear to be open on your Dock (indicated by the single dot below the photo's icon) If so, you can right click Photo and select 'Quit' to exit out. If there's no dot, what happens when you try and open the app back up?

Any screenshots of how this appears on your screen would be beneficial in assisting further.

Hello Nathan

Thank you for your reply. 

No I cannot close Affinity Photo and Force Quit also doesn't work.  The only thing that has worked is cutting power to my Mac.

Here is a photo, showing the dot, I hope it is clear enough.

Any further thoughts on this would be appreciated.

affinity.jpg

• Staff
19 hours ago, roseha said:

No I cannot close Affinity Photo and Force Quit also doesn't work.

The dot below the app in the dock indicates that the app is still running (possibly in the background). It is surprising that Force Quit isn't allowing you to close down Photo, could you describe/screenshot what is happening when you attempt to close via the Force Quit Applications menu?