You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is it safe to revert back from Publisher 1.10 to 1.09?

I know this seems a silly question to some, but I need to feel secure with so much work dependant on the affinity suite as a whole.  I want to go back to 1.09.  Since upgrading to 1.10 I have had 6 or 7 crashes over the last 4 weeks or so.  That's more crashes than I've had in 3 years.  Just want to be sure.  (This is not meant as a criticism against affinity, I mean that)

Thanking you.

Chris

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

If you purchased the application directly from Serif via the Affinity Store, you can go back, but there may be some difficulties. Method:

1. Uninstall the 1.10 version.
  2. Download and install the 1.9 version. The URL you'll need depends on which application, and what OS:
    https://affinity.store/update/<OS-goes-here>/<app-goes-here>/1
    where: OS is windows or macos
    and app is photo or designer or publisher

Having done that, you might find that files you created/updated using 1.10 will still open in 1.9, but they might not. (Usually, an older release of an Affinity application cannot open files created in a later release. However, 1.10 was a bit of an odd case, and I don't know whether that is true for this one specific release combination.)

Additionally, you might find that your Assets and Styles and Brushes might not be compatible, and will be reset to the factory defaults. Again, I don't know for sure, and especially for this one release combination.

If you purchased the application from Apple (Mac App Store) or Microsoft (Microsoft Store) then you can only revert to an older level by restoring from a system backup. And even then you'll have the same potential issues mentioned above.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Because of the issues @walt.farrell mentioned, it would be better if you could figure out the reason for the crashes & fix that. Have you tried anything for that, like disabling hardware acceleration?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hi Walt, Thankyou for that detailed explanation, fortunately I have only ever done editing, writing and a few images into publisher since updating. Purchased direct from Affinity so that's good.  So there should not be a problem.  Thank you for your time on this Walt, as always.

RCR - also thank you, but as I said, never had any issues at all with any of the affinity products for years, the last 4 weeks set of crashes are indicative of an issue with affinity's new release sadly to say.  And as for trying to figure things out, forget it, I am not one for doing anything like this.  

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

2 hours ago, Chris26 said:

RCR - also thank you, but as I said, never had any issues at all with any of the affinity products for years, the last 4 weeks set of crashes are indicative of an issue with affinity's new release sadly to say.

If you search the forums, you will see that there are a few easy to correct issues (like switching off hardware acceleration) that enable most users to run the current versions without problems, & (perhaps just as importantly) take advantage of the new features & bug fixes the latest versions offer.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

If you search the forums, you will see that there are a few easy to correct issues (like switching off hardware acceleration) that enable most users to run the current versions without problems, & (perhaps just as importantly) take advantage of the new features & bug fixes the latest versions offer.

Ok RCR, I am going to switch it off and see if I notice any difference as I compute through the coming week.  However, and this is a request, I have read a little about what this Hardware thing-a-ma-bob does, But it does not help me to understand the benefit of switching it off becuase all I can read is what it does, and most of that is complete chinese to me.  So in simple words what are the advantages of OFF as opposed to ON?   PS, and while we are talking where on earth is it?

7 hours ago, Chris26 said:

So in simple words what are the advantages of OFF as opposed to ON? 

The advantage to Off is it does not trigger instabilities with certain combinations of hardware & OS versions. The (theoretical) advantage to On is certain operations work faster. IOW, if On works, it's better; otherwise worse.

7 hours ago, Chris26 said:

PS, and while we are talking where on earth is it?

On Macs, it is in Preferences > Performance.

Affinity Photo 

I googled this stuff and got a million answers as where it is.  It seems win 10 does not have this Hardware acceleration, if it does I can not find it, despite googling the confusing answers to a very simpe question.  Every answer I read I searched and it simply was not where they said it was.....

It's found in the Affinity Apps. Go to Edit>Preferences>Performance. At the bottom of the Performance tab, you will see Hardware Acceleration.  Uncheck the box beside it, restart the app and see if that helps.

HA_OpenCL.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

10 hours ago, Ron P. said:

It's found in the Affinity Apps. Go to Edit>Preferences>Performance. At the bottom of the Performance tab, you will see Hardware Acceleration.  Uncheck the box beside it, restart the app and see if that helps.

HA_OpenCL.jpg

Hi Ron, thanks.  Well surprise surprise it was already off.

I just noticed my RAM usage in preferences/Performance says 4096 Mb when I only have 4000mb - could this be a problem, should I lower it to say 3800 Mb?

Since the HA was already disabled and you're experiencing crashing, have you tried enabling it? However, you're GPU must meet the specs for HA. FWIW, mine does not, so it does not allow me to enable it. You have posted any info on your PC. What GPU are you using? Do you work off of internal HDD? Are they spinning platters, or SSD? Serif recommends to work off of internal drives, not external, network (NAS), or internet (OneDrive, iCloud and the like).

5 hours ago, Chris26 said:

I just noticed my RAM usage in preferences/Performance says 4096 Mb when I only have 4000mb - could this be a problem, should I lower it to say 3800 Mb?

Are you sure about those numbers? 4,000Mb is only 4 gig. It would difficult to run most any current photo, video, apps and all other things that a pc may be running in the background.

I have 32gig of RAM, which is roughly 32,000Mb, and have been running the Ram usage limit around 29,000 (29 gig). I could and probably should go a lot lower, since I don't do any real intense work with AP or AD.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

30 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

Are you sure about those numbers? 4,000Mb is only 4 gig.

Aside from that, RAM only comes in power of two increments so it could be 4096, but not 4000!

Affinity Photo 

18 hours ago, Ron P. said:

However, you're GPU must meet the specs for HA. FWIW, mine does not, so it does not allow me to enable it.

I have no idea what you mean here, sorry.  I have 4 GB ram and both Publisher photo and designer work perfectly, never a problem never a crash never slowing down.  ONLY SINCE I UPDATED has publisher crashed so many times, but not in the last week so far.

I would not know where to find out if I could enable the HAceleration, the specs are as follows:

Intel i3 2.0 Ghz, running everything on the laptop, no peripheals involved at all.

(If I were doing heavy duty Photo editing and using designer like a professional I would invest in a brand new Apple mac by the way, but an enemy microsoft laptop will do for the moment).

16 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

I would not know where to find out if I could enable the HAceleration,

You could just try. The app will tell you at that point. 

On the other hand, it defaults to Enabled if your system supports it. So, if it's off now then either you're not able to use it, or you've manually disabled it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

You could just try. The app will tell you at that point. 

On the other hand, it defaults to Enabled if your system supports it. So, if it's off now then either you're not able to use it, or you've manually disabled it.

Thanks walt, well I never touched it, so my system can not support it as you say.  So I will just leave everything as is.  Thank you.