You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How quick should media browser be to populate?

I am trying the trial version. I am trying the media browser to go to my photos directory (mainly RAW) and it appears to be slow to drill down the folders, four folders in from main HD. Then it will take a while to populate thumbnails. It seems quicker to quit the program then re open and the selection starts to populate. What am I doing wrong?

Not decided yet what I am going to use as a manager for the pics yet, half one program, half another but the folders are sort of logical for me but not buried in any iPhoto or Photo directory structure. Just the simple naming folders then date taken. So one folder might have three or four images whilst another might be loser to a few hundred. and anything in-between (I need to de clutter a few!).

Hi Jef,

in my opinion, the media browser is still a major weakness of Affinity Photo. Sorry to say this so bluntly. According to an older reply, there is no thumbnail caching in the media browser part of the software:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/13536-media-browser-previews-caches-not-preserved/

The lacking of a dedicated thumbnail cache makes the media browser unbearably slow, and I believe there hasn’t be any progress on this issue in the mean time (correct me if I am wrong). I really hope this will be addressed soon. It is simply essential to have fast access to your media libraries. I am going to add this immediately to the following post:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/15749-life-after-14/?p=71636

Thanks for bumping this up, Jef. 

Kindest regards, Alex  :)

Thanks for the replies. I see that now. It would be nice but question answered. I am using "Open" and finder preview set to view images rather than file names and it works fine and came across media browser. Only problem with that is the .xmp files cluttering the view as I have directed PSE to those folders.

If I jump ship, then they (.xmp) will be cleared out.