You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Corrupted files

Hi everyone,

I'm new at Affinity Photo and I have a problem. When I open files, sometimes I get a message saying it's corrupted.

It happens again and again. I have multiple backups, so I rebuilt the corrupted file. But I don't want to continue this way. At first I suspected my computer but checks are okay, and except Affinity Photo everything is fine. I thought also it was just bad luck, shit happens, but I got today around 20 corrupted files. Too much, I need to solve that.

Any clue ?

I have a windows 10 computer. My data are stored on an internal private SDD drive. No cloud, no share...

Thanks,

Allison

On 9/24/2022 at 2:07 AM, PeteMacca said:

What sort of files? Where did they come from? How were they created? Can you share some here?

It was .afphoto files.

I created them a few month ago with Photoshop. I switched recently to Affinity Photo, and I converted my work with the open .psd functionality. There was minors errors - mainly with smart object / linked files - but I corrected that easily, and saved in .afphoto format.

I share here a file that gives me multiple errors. It's quite heavy, near 1Gb. I didn't put the linked files, because it would reach the limit for the forum. But they are simples .png files that I created with Photoshop too. If you need them, I could try to upload them somewhere. And there is also a special font that I use, and could upload if you need so.

(Warning, it's adult content. Don't click if you don't want to see it) 972706390_Rose1-33.afphoto972706390_Rose1-33.afphoto

Since I posted my first message in this discussion, something strange happens. I got a corrupted error with the file I share, and I restarted my computer for check. When restarted, it worked fine. No corrupt error anymore. So, I think it was not the file by itself the problem, but something else.

I recently reinstalled my operating system (win 10) from Microsoft, I have firewall (rooter) and anti-virus (free avast) tunned quite hard, thus my system should be safe. I know it's never granted, but...

Could it be an interaction with some driver or other things like that ? I have a NVidia GTX 1060 6Gb, an Intel i5-3330 3.00GHz and 16Gb DDR3 (2x8Gb Kingston). All of that mounted on a Gygabyte H61MA-D3V motherboard. Old stuffs running fine.

The working files are stored localy on the system disk. It is an old SSD drive, not full, not shared (smb is not activate). I don't have problem elsewhere with this disk. The backup files are on externs units that I plug/unplug at need.

Thanks for your time, and feel free to ask me more files or informations if it help.

Allison

• Staff

@Allison K Lynoo So far with your file I haven't experienced an issues. I can open, edit, save back to that file or use Save As to create a new version and then do the same tests with that version and still nothing.

Can you check to see what else is running on your system at the same time, such as backup software. Perhaps try stopping or disabling them to see if it makes any difference? If any of the files are listed as Linked, are these stored locally?

Hi Lee D,

I think I have a resource issue. The corrupt problem appears after I used Affinity for some time. I'm making a comic, so I have 46 pages like the one I uploaded. The corrupt problem comes when I have to do a little modification on every pages. But it is not depending on what's running else on my computer, because when I do that, I restart my computer and run Affinity alone. To be sure.

Of course, it could come from the system itself, especialy the virus scan tool (free Avast), but I'm more inclined to think there is a resource somewhere which is not released correctly. I'm a C/C++ coder, and I know how easely this happens and what a nightmare it is to find it.

Indeed, I think I solved my problem. When I uploaded my page, I realized that my childs images was not linked like I thought, but embedded. I created another discussion to talk about that, and I got a way to solve it. Thus my main documents are no more huges, and it run fine. It's a little early to say it's okay, but it looks so.

To help you, I can only say that it comes randomly, always after I open/close a few pages (like 5-6), and it desapear when I restart my computer. Also, when it's happened on one page, it will keep happens on this particular page but not on the others. Not even on a copy of the "corrupted" page. Also, when it's happened one, it will happen more often elsewhere.

My personal feeling, is that it's related to something with Windows. A resource not used or released like it should. But this is just a feeling...

Allison