You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Crashed My Laptop With a Simple "Trick"

Hi everyone, hope you are doing well. I want to ask about Affinity Photo keep crashing, not just the app but the entire system are crashed. Before i wrote this topic, i searched up some solutions and found the same Affinity user who have the same problem. Here is the link 

I opened Affinity Photo after i edited videos to make thumbnail. Yes, i opened with my editing software open. But back then, there are no issues on Affinity Photo if the reason it was crashed because lack of memory (RAM). The crash occured when i'm using Selection Brush Tool with wide pixel range and as i zoom in to make  my selection better, i lower the width of the Selection Brush Tool and voila, Affinity Photo crashed. Always occured when i'm doing that. I don't know if other action could bring Photo to crashed. I always careful to open Affinity Photo now because this crashed thing and probably ruin my laptop too. Please fix this, Affinity Team

I updated my GPU and CPU Drivers, checking update for Affinity Photo, but still have the same problem. Oh yeah, i tried HW Acceleration On and Off and have the same problem. But when i turn it off, it get better but still occurs but not as ofter as i turn the HW Accel On. Is this kind of bug or Affinity Photo isn't the best in Windows 11? Because some people said that they never occur such crash in Windows 10. Here are my specs if you want to know (My laptop is Legion 5 Pro)

- CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 5800H

- GPU : Nvidia RTX 3060 Laptop GPU

- RAM : 16 GB

Should i lower my Affinity Photo version to 1.9?

PS : I will record when the crashed occured. Hopefully i will catch it so you can see what i'm talking about

Thank you

What video editing software are you using?

Are you using a screenshot of a frame from your video for the thumbnail, or using an image not in your video?

Have you tried closing your video editing software first? Does AP still crash?

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

23 hours ago, Muhammad Alfadino said:

not just the app but the entire system are crashed.

The Affinity applications by themselves cannot crash the entire system. If the entire system is crashing, then you have a hardware problem, or a Windows problem, or a driver problem (probably your GPU driver). I would start by making sure you're using the latest GPU drivers, possibly installed after uninstalling the current drivers. Or possibly even reinstalling Windows itself, as that has been known to resolve miscellaneous system failure problems.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

55 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

What video editing software are you using?

I am using Premiere Pro 2021

55 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

Are you using a screenshot of a frame from your video for the thumbnail, or using an image not in your video?

Yes i screenshot one of a frame from the video for the thumbnail

56 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

Have you tried closing your video editing software first? Does AP still crash?

I did, it last longer (sometimes till i finished making thumbnail). But sometimes it crashed

20 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

you're using the latest GPU drivers

I did installed the latest GPU Drivers (516.94)

21 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

then you have a hardware problem,

I think i found the problem. After i post this topic and restarted my laptop, the Instant Replay by Geforce Exp is shutting down by itself and cannot be turned on since then (But if i restart the laptop, it will be good again). So, the Instant Replay might be somehow crashed the Photo. When i turned off manually, Photo is working as usual

23 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

possibly even reinstalling Windows itself,

About this, i tried reinstalling Windows 11 1 or 2 times now, but not because of Affinity Photo

Yes, I've also had a whole system crash when in Photo, but it was virtually identical to the crash I experienced in another app (darktable) and under very similar circumstances: I was making slider adjustments quickly, back and forth, comparing effects when the laptop's panel filled with a small herringbone-type pattern and the system locked hard. I disabled OpenCL and it hasn't happened since. The crash in darktable was when I was also toggling some adjustments rapidly back and forth. I've tried updating the drivers, but this is an Acer laptop with embedded AMD graphics and Acer is less than clear on exactly what drivers are required. I tried letting AMD identify and update everything but then I had issues with my dock, so they got backed out. Such is computer life... (says he after 2 decades in IT)   😶

Len
Affinity Photo 2 | QCAD 3 | FastStone | SpyderX Pro | FOSS:  ART darktable  XnView  RawTherapee  Inkscape  G'MIC  LibreOffice
Windows 11 on a 16 GB, Ryzen 5700 8-core laptop with a cheesy little embedded AMD GPU

Canon T8i / 850D | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM | Rikenon P 50mm f/1.7
...desperately looking for landscapes in Nolandscapeland        https://www.flickr.com/photos/14015058@N07/

On 9/25/2022 at 12:10 AM, lphilpot said:

Yes, I've also had a whole system crash when in Photo, but it was virtually identical to the crash I experienced in another app (darktable) and under very similar circumstances: I was making slider adjustments quickly, back and forth, comparing effects when the laptop's panel filled with a small herringbone-type pattern and the system locked hard. I disabled OpenCL and it hasn't happened since. The crash in darktable was when I was also toggling some adjustments rapidly back and forth. I've tried updating the drivers, but this is an Acer laptop with embedded AMD graphics and Acer is less than clear on exactly what drivers are required. I tried letting AMD identify and update everything but then I had issues with my dock, so they got backed out. Such is computer life... (says he after 2 decades in IT)   😶

But, did you solved the issue right now?? I also tried as you did, but nope didn't have a good result

No, honestly I've not investigated it further just yet. I purchased AP about two weeks ago and I've been busy with other things (trying to learn it, etc!). I plan on taking another look but it might be a while. About the only thing that realistically could be changed would be the appropriate driver(s). But I'm not that familiar with GPU / OpenCL so I'm not real sure where to check. I think it was the AMD chipset driver that interfered with my dock, but that's just empirical.

For what it's worth I've had no crashes since I disabled OpenCL. Ideally I'd like it to work, but in reality it's only a relatively small performance win at best.

Len
Affinity Photo 2 | QCAD 3 | FastStone | SpyderX Pro | FOSS:  ART darktable  XnView  RawTherapee  Inkscape  G'MIC  LibreOffice
Windows 11 on a 16 GB, Ryzen 5700 8-core laptop with a cheesy little embedded AMD GPU

Canon T8i / 850D | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM | Rikenon P 50mm f/1.7
...desperately looking for landscapes in Nolandscapeland        https://www.flickr.com/photos/14015058@N07/

• 2 weeks later...