You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Sandbox Data

I was trying to free up data by first moving A. Photo files to shared drive the deleting from what I thot was the sandbox ie what the iPad shows as data for A. Photo. 

In the attached screen shot shows just a few megabyte in afphoto files, but data for the app at 13.67 Gigabyte? 

The files shown in this screen shot are in the default directory, other files not in the default directory but displayed in the A Photo browser I assume are still contributing to the data calculation in “Documents and Data” is this correct?

If this is correct and a file not in the default directory is modified but not saved, a temporary version must be stored somewhere or the changes would be lost after exiting AP, they dont seem to be lost, so they are taking up disk space in some hidden location, completely inaccessible to the user.

Please understand I’m trying to create free space, but moving files and deleting from iPad “Documents and Data” does seem to make any difference.

Affinity data size.jpg

• Staff

Hi Affinity Rat,

Occasionally the iOS version of the app will take a while to release data like in your case. In testing we have found this issue usually resolves itself over time however if you need to speed up this process you should be able to off load or reinstall the app to force it to release the data. This is something we are still looking into so we should hopefully have a more long term solution soon.

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

I’m still using APhoto added another file into the default directory and now documents down to 10.5GB

I as very suspicious of Apple, they seem to want to force users use of the cloud.

• Screenshot (Not Live) each use 11Mb, this is ridiculous
  • Sharing with local external hard drive plagued with multiple problems not connecting,  etc.
  • Providing users with 5gb of free space in cloud, when the os uses all of that space with updates
  • Not deleting cache or temporary files.
  • Default settings putting photos and backups in cloud even when there is no room. 
  • Default camera setting to “Live” making each photo a mini video.
  • No automatic immediate deletion of files, manual intervention required.

Affinity apps dont support destructive crops resulting in unnecessary file bloat, or exporting a crop and creating a new version with cropped image.

I sometimes use screenshots in AP, each about 11mb, and once in AP cant destructively  crop, must modify the screenshot in other software then add to AP file. I dont want to use 2 apps and 2 steps for such a simple task.

Importing 11Mb screenshot into Procreate and exporting to jpg resultant 700K, after crop 200 K, now can import into AP ughhh.

Today I created a screencapture on my Ipad 4 MP and 3.7 Mb, after cropping image using iPad edit the stats were 2MP and 4.9 Mb so after crop half as many pixels but 32% gain in Mb, good job Apple!

13 hours ago, Affinity Rat said:

I’m still using APhoto added another file into the default directory and now documents down to 10.5GB

I as very suspicious of Apple, they seem to want to force users use of the cloud.

• Screenshot (Not Live) each use 11Mb, this is ridiculous
  • Sharing with local external hard drive plagued with multiple problems not connecting,  etc.
  • Providing users with 5gb of free space in cloud, when the os uses all of that space with updates
  • Not deleting cache or temporary files.
  • Default settings putting photos and backups in cloud even when there is no room. 
  • Default camera setting to “Live” making each photo a mini video.
  • No automatic immediate deletion of files, manual intervention required.

Affinity apps dont support destructive crops resulting in unnecessary file bloat, or exporting a crop and creating a new version with cropped image.

I sometimes use screenshots in AP, each about 11mb, and once in AP cant destructively  crop, must modify the screenshot in other software then add to AP file. I dont want to use 2 apps and 2 steps for such a simple task.

Importing 11Mb screenshot into Procreate and exporting to jpg resultant 700K, after crop 200 K, now can import into AP ughhh.

Today I created a screencapture on my Ipad 4 MP and 3.7 Mb, after cropping image using iPad edit the stats were 2MP and 4.9 Mb so after crop half as many pixels but 32% gain in Mb, good job Apple!

Apple photos stores your original often raw photos. You can edit them to your hearts content using the Apple Photo editor or any other photo editor on your iDevice.  But, your original photo is STILL present in Apple Photo. You can revert to original or export unmodified original at any time. So yes, within Apple photos, all edits even crops WILL increase the size.

If you however store images in a cloud folder, iCloud, Dropbox, Onedrive or whatever all edits you do will permanently overwrite your original so a cropped image would shrink.

I use 2TB iCloud storage which works out much cheaper for me considering how much I had previously spent on external drives on my Mac’s, PC’s over the years. To get the best experience of Apple devices, use iCloud for everything. I can lose / damage / wipe any of my devices iPhone, iPad, Macbook, Mac Mini and I won’t lose single image or important document or information. I recommend it after 40+ years in the PC world, far superior.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

9 hours ago, Paul Mudditt said:

Apple photos stores your original often raw photos. You can edit them to your hearts content using the Apple Photo editor or any other photo editor on your iDevice.  But, your original photo is STILL present in Apple Photo. You can revert to original or export unmodified original at any time. So yes, within Apple photos, all edits even crops WILL increase the size.

If you however store images in a cloud folder, iCloud, Dropbox, Onedrive or whatever all edits you do will permanently overwrite your original so a cropped image would shrink.

I use 2TB iCloud storage which works out much cheaper for me considering how much I had previously spent on external drives on my Mac’s, PC’s over the years. To get the best experience of Apple devices, use iCloud for everything. I can lose / damage / wipe any of my devices iPhone, iPad, Macbook, Mac Mini and I won’t lose single image or important document or information. I recommend it after 40+ years in the PC world, far superior.

Thank you Paul for your experience.

I just dont like being pushed into a subscription model.

Google, Adobe et al do this all the time, give something free, let users get invested in learning and entrenched then start with the subscription pricing or other unacceptable terms.

In your experience have Apple changed their pricing since you enrolled in the iCloud?

Thanx for your assistance.

Kind regards

2 hours ago, Affinity Rat said:

Thank you Paul for your experience.

I just dont like being pushed into a subscription model.

Google, Adobe et al do this all the time, give something free, let users get invested in learning and entrenched then start with the subscription pricing or other unacceptable terms.

In your experience have Apple changed their pricing since you enrolled in the iCloud?

Thanx for your assistance.

Kind regards

Nope, only exchange rates have forced changes in UK, possibly expected soon since someone just tanked the GBP.

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB

2 hours ago, Affinity Rat said:

Ok thanks, mind saying how long in your present contract?

Someone! My! that’s a bit harsh.

The country must be moving toward a revolution. ;-)

More than 6 years, not really a contract you can cancel anytime you want to.