You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Crashes when i try to type something in the Font selection menu (Windows 10)

randomtako

Related:

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, NathanC said:

Hi @randomtako welcome to the forums,

The error in your crash report matches that of the crash report in the thread Carl has linked above, If you're enrolled in the insider program I would suggest leaving and then installing the latest updates.

https://insider.windows.com/en-us/leave-program

Thank you for responding.

Oddly enough, as you can see in the image below, I didn't sign up for the Windows Insider program. Is there any other way to solve this problem?

image.thumb.png.f0fe69cf407f5a9de7596c0cda82a957.png

image.thumb.png.d9713f33e5ac10787c316ed48f2edecf.png

• Staff
25 minutes ago, randomtako said:

Thank you for responding.

Oddly enough, as you can see in the image below, I didn't sign up for the Windows Insider program. Is there any other way to solve this problem?

Thanks for confirming, it appears on the update and security settings window the Insider program isn't listed as an option, which is likely ruling this out.

as well as trying the above suggestion from N.P.M, you could try the below to disable the font preview cache.

1. Restart your PC
  2. Launch Command Prompt
  3. On the basis you have installed Publisher in it's default location on the C drive type/copy cd "C:\Program Files\Affinity\Publisher\" and Enter
  4. Type/Copy Publisher --disable-font-preview-cache and Enter

Publisher will now launch, you can then go back and try searching for a font again.

53 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

Perhaps something like this;

Don't type in anything in the text dropdown>just select the topmost font and use the arrowkeys to scroll down the list slowly.
Take note of the font that it shows when it crashes.
This font is probably corrupted.
Uninstall this font to see of this helps.

38 minutes ago, NathanC said:

Thanks for confirming, it appears on the update and security settings window the Insider program isn't listed as an option, which is likely ruling this out.

as well as trying the above suggestion from N.P.M, you could try the below to disable the font preview cache.

1. Restart your PC
  2. Launch Command Prompt
  3. On the basis you have installed Publisher in it's default location on the C drive type/copy cd "C:\Program Files\Affinity\Publisher\" and Enter
  4. Type/Copy Publisher --disable-font-preview-cache and Enter

Publisher will now launch, you can then go back and try searching for a font again.

Thank you for your answer. The font preview works fine in my case.

The app crashes when I type something in the font section menu. See the attached video.

Edited by randomtako

The Command promt solution doesn't working.

A tried some other programs, but only the 3 Affinity programs crashed. Any character i type (and only one character), so i dont think it is trying to jump a corrupted font and then crash.

I thinking to reset the basic windows fonts, but i simply cant find a solution to this yet. 

I find this method (see picture), but it is simply not working. The button do nothing at all.

image.png.97f1a3cc88a3121036671fa7f4b5bf61.png

More people are experiencing the same issue.

Uninstalling the font does not work.

Yesterday I uninstalled most of my fonts, and yet I am still experiencing the same issue.

================

UPDATE

Idk why, but this solution is working.

In my case, I modified the name of the designer program to

"Designer  --disable-font-preview-cache"

image.png.fbbcad79c29e3046c451e9a563c1a560.png

and now it is no more crashing.

Edited by randomtako

2 minutes ago, randomtako said:

Yesterday I uninstalled most of my fonts, and yet I am still experiencing the same issue.

I see... Perhaps this error only affects affinity programs. I tried to reproduce the error with other programs and was unsuccessful (InkScape, LightBurn, Word, Excel...)

@HelloHelloHello

Reading your posting, it's sounds to me, you haven't reading the forum rules and or the FAQs. And, of curse not the posting above yours.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

32 minutes ago, HelloHelloHello said:

Sounds to me like this is a MAJOR BUG in the most recent update of both programs.

@HelloHelloHello

There are no recent updates of "both" programs

The problem has been caused by a recent update to Windows 10/11

"Disabling" this update will rectify the problem, whilst investigations continue.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Well I had this same problem since the Windows 11:KB5017264 update for both publisher and designer. Affinity have to find a way to fix it somehow, because the other programs that I have on the same desktop doesn't have this bug. (ms words, ppt, illustrator, photoshop, blender and clip studio paint)

22 hours ago, jop said:

Well I had this same problem since the Windows 11:KB5017264 update for both publisher and designer. Affinity have to find a way to fix it somehow, because the other programs that I have on the same desktop doesn't have this bug. (ms words, ppt, illustrator, photoshop, blender and clip studio paint)

I totally agree with you, eveything works fine, except Affinity products...

I ditched adobe months ago, but now, I realize that affinity is full of bugs... And I don't see any solution provided for most of them, except "uncheck hardware accelation", no software update, just tricks user side.

I'm at the point where I really consider to return to adobe.

I mean, I really don't want, but honestly I can't work in decent conditions with Affinity.

6 minutes ago, N.P.M. said:

See:

I know.

But do you understand that I don't want to spend my time on forums in order to be able to work ?  

I'm sick to do this kind of things, uninstall windows updates when all other programs works without issue, do some obscur tricks like limit affinity photo cpu usage to 6 threads...  Do I need to adapt my OS to affinity products ?

Why do the users need to do that ? Is it my job ?

On 9/26/2022 at 9:00 AM, randomtako said:

================

UPDATE

work for me

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2022 at 8:00 PM, randomtako said:

================

UPDATE

thanks, your're brilliant!

Much better than the uninstall and pausing window update method.

On 9/26/2022 at 9:33 AM, NathanC said:

Thank you NathanC ... this solved my problem. I simply uninstalled Windows 10:KB5017262 now my font issues are fixed as well as duplicate pages and new page issues. Which is when I would right click on a page and press "duplicate page" and Affinity Publisher (Desktop) would crash immediately. Same for trying to insert a page. Would immediately crash. Now all fixed. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for figuring this out!

Update: 1 hour after writing this I tried to export a PDF of my current layouts from Affinity Publisher ... crashes every time. I am not able to export now from AP now.

On 9/26/2022 at 9:33 AM, NathanC said:

Edited by barrycosta
1 hour after adding this I tried something else and it failed. Used to work before. Now doesn't...

6 hours ago, barrycosta said:

Update: 1 hour after writing this I tried to export a PDF of my current layouts from Affinity Publisher ... crashes every time. I am not able to export now from AP now.

As this seems to be your first participation in this thread (aside from having Liked one of NathanC's posts), it's not obvious to me what you're "updating" in this update. For example, whether you've followed the steps shown in the FAQ and removed that errant Windows fix, or not?

Please give us some more information.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Tim Kyarie said:

Has Affinity managed to fix this bug? I have the same issue too.

The recommendation for now is to uninstall the Windows updates that have broken applications that use the Windows WPF functions. The bug is in Windows, from what I've read, not the Affinity applications, and ideally will be fixed by Microsoft. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 9/26/2022 at 7:00 PM, randomtako said:

================

UPDATE

This solution works for me. 👍
Though I haven't tried to uninstall some windows updates.