You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Crashes when i try to type something in the Font selection menu (Windows 10)

randomtako

1 hour ago, raoufblr said:

i have this problem too

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

The suggestions above should help you resolve the problem.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2022 at 2:13 PM, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

The suggestions above should help you resolve the problem.

This is certainly not a solution. I will not downgrade my OS for one single buggy software. It's an issue with Affinity. I hope they address this soon but it wont happen, there are still major bugs out there since 2016.

On 9/26/2022 at 6:00 AM, randomtako said:

More people are experiencing the same issue.

Uninstalling the font does not work.

Yesterday I uninstalled most of my fonts, and yet I am still experiencing the same issue.

================

UPDATE

Idk why, but this solution is working.

In my case, I modified the name of the designer program to

"Designer  --disable-font-preview-cache"

image.png.fbbcad79c29e3046c451e9a563c1a560.png

and now it is no more crashing.

Thank you very much randontako, you are a genius!👍👏👌

It also worked for me to rename the .exe from Designer.exe to DesignerV1.exe, so I think the name can be anything.

What I don't know is why it works, but it works.

I have not noticed so far that it negatively affects the application, in fact I did it with Photo and Publisher and the problem was also solved.

If someone can explain to us why that change of name in the .exe solves the crash of the program in this specific case, it would be great if you explained it to us.

¡Muchísimas gracias randontako,  es usted un genio!👍👏👌

A mí me funcionó también cambiarle el nombre al .exe de Designer.exe a DesignerV1.exe, por lo que creo que el nombre puede cualquiera.

Lo que no sé, es porque es que funciona, pero funciona. 

No he notado hasta ahora que afecte de manera negativa a la aplicación, de hecho lo hice con Photo y Publisher y también se solucionó el problema.

Si alguien nos puede explicar por qué ese cambio de nombre en del .exe soluciona el crasheo del programa en este caso específico, sería genial si nos lo explicara. 

18 minutes ago, Affitoom said:

Thank you very much randontako, you are a genius!👍👏👌

It also worked for me to rename the .exe from Designer.exe to DesignerV1.exe, so I think the name can be anything.

What I don't know is why it works, but it works.

I have not noticed so far that it negatively affects the application, in fact I did it with Photo and Publisher and the problem was also solved.

If someone can explain to us why that change of name in the .exe solves the crash of the program in this specific case, it would be great if you explained it to us.

¡Muchísimas gracias randontako,  es usted un genio!👍👏👌

A mí me funcionó también cambiarle el nombre al .exe de Designer.exe a DesignerV1.exe, por lo que creo que el nombre puede cualquiera.

Lo que no sé, es porque es que funciona, pero funciona. 

No he notado hasta ahora que afecte de manera negativa a la aplicación, de hecho lo hice con Photo y Publisher y también se solucionó el problema.

Si alguien nos puede explicar por qué ese cambio de nombre en del .exe soluciona el crasheo del programa en este caso específico, sería genial si nos lo explicara. 

I ALREADY FIND A PROBLEM with what I did, the Link studio does not recognize me now Designer, nor Photo.

YA ENCONTRE un problema con lo que hice, el estudio Link no me reconoce ahora Designer, ni Photo.

image.jpeg.4c733a658f9722657cd61ecefead32d7.jpeg

Tendré que volver hacia atrás y devolverle los nombres originales al los .exe. 

I'll have to go back and return the original names to the .exe.

On 11/8/2022 at 12:51 PM, Artcraft said:

This is certainly not a solution. I will not downgrade my OS for one single buggy software. It's an issue with Affinity. I hope they address this soon but it wont happen, there are still major bugs out there since 2016.

One of the suggestions in the FAQ (though not recommended by Serif) does not involve downgrading your OS. It changes some configuration files to avoid the problem.

Also, please note that the issue has been reported to Microsoft and they have accepted it. It affects many programs, not just the Affinity applications. Of course, you may not have the other affected applications, so that would not be obvious to you. But the "one single buggy software" in this case is Windows itself.

I have no idea what Serif did to work around this Microsoft problem in the Affinity 2 apps. Nor do I know whether they will choose to patch the V1 programs, or choose to wait for Microsoft to issue the fix.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hello all.

I still haven't solved the problem, AD still crashes every time I search for a font. So I can't search for fonts in AD, I can only scroll through them all and select the one I want. Not the ideal situation, but I can't do anything else at the moment.

However, I also noticed something I hadn't noticed before. Some fonts seem to slow down AF a lot. Every time I scroll, AD seems to stop for a few 3-5 seconds before continuing to scroll. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks a lot

SOLVED [ Affinity v1 | Fonts + importing files | Problem SOLVED but In Arabic ]

If you did not understand just follow the steps its works for me so I decided to share

For everyone wondering why this problem exist I will tell you that the problem is due .NET Framework After the last windows updates  22h2 there is another fix by removing some of the updates but this is the safest way to fix every related problem and keeping the security updates.

The link used in the video:
https://dotnet.microsoft.com/en-us/download/dotnet-framework/net481

Enjoy

• Staff

UPDATE for anyone still using V1 Affinity applications - 

Versions 1.10.6 of the Affinity suite have been released, which resolve these .NET Windows crashes.

Please see the below link for information on how to download and install these updates:

With the Affinity updates installed, you can now un-hide any previous Windows updates you have paused and install these without concern.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

34 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

UPDATE for anyone still using V1 Affinity applications - 

Versions 1.10.6 of the Affinity suite have been released, which resolve these .NET Windows crashes.

Please see the below link for information on how to download and install these updates:

With the Affinity updates installed, you can now un-hide any previous Windows updates you have paused and install these without concern.

Thanks it works perfectly now, also just bought Designer V2 and very impress with the new wrap and shape builder tools! Keep up the good work!