You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can I Combine the Ellipse, Rectangle, and Rounded Rectangle Tools into the Shape Preset Tool?

I am not sure this is what you want but in View > Customize Tools... (not customize toolbar!) you should see one shape tool with a small triangle at its bottom right corner. Drag that into the Tools panel & drag all the other shape tools off of it & all the shape tools will be in that one button group.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, Mr. Mendelli said:

I already tried that (I should have specified so...), it did not work that way for me. All I have access to in the grouped tool is what is in the screenshot.

What else is there? That's all the 'quick shapes' there are in the app.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 minutes ago, R C-R said:

What else is there? That's all the 'quick shapes' there are in the app.

On Windows, Designer's dropdown for the tools icon only has 18 of the 21 tools available (excluding the cat tool)

The dropdown does not include "Rectangle, Rounded Rectangle & Ellipse tools, which all have to be added as separate tools

In APhoto all 21 tools are available in the dropdown

@R C-R Is this different on a Mac?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

31 minutes ago, carl123 said:

@R C-R Is this different on a Mac?

No. I just wasn't thinking about the rectangle & ellipse tools.

Affinity Photo 

Seems strange that we cannot have the default Shapes fly-out from Photo as an option when we Customize Tools... I show the top of the default here.

1076933918_ScreenShot2022-09-24at7_39_38AM.png.d40f4cef2a9b2e6a015c7548ae73818e.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

Seems strange that we cannot have the default Shapes fly-out from Photo as an option when we Customize Tools... I show the top of the default here.

Just guessing but maybe because they consider AP to be more of a pixel editor & AD as more of a vector/shape editor, so for the latter the ellipse, rectangle, or rounded rectangle are considered 'basic' or fundamental shapes.

Or maybe it is just because they never considered that more than a few AD users would want all the shape tools in one AD fly-out group?

Either way, it seems like this could be added as a feature request for AD, & not hard to implement....

Affinity Photo 

As kind of a lame workaround, what about assigning/using one or more keyboard shortcuts for the ellipse, rectangle, & rounded rectangle tools, & then removing them from the Tools panel? I think the default is "U" for all of them, which cycles through them, but maybe other shortcuts would do. What I have done experimentally in AD is to assign "E" to the Ellipse Tool & "R" to the Rectangle Tool & Rounded Rectangle Tools because it is easy to remember, & tapping "R" cycles between the 2 similar tools.

EDIT: I just noticed that if I tap "E" repeatedly, it cycles between the Ellipse & Rounded Rectangle Tools, even though the Rounded Rectangle Tool shortcut is set to "R."

Anybody else seeing the same thing?

EDIT 2: Quitting & relaunching AD stopped the "E" cycling between the two tools, so now "E" cycles between the Ellipse Tool & no tool selected, & the "R" key cycles beween the 2 rectangle tools.

Affinity Photo