You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Differences between Detail Enhance and Unsharp mask etc?

Hello, 

I've been mostly using the Detail Enhancement in the Develop Persona. If the amount of detail sharpening I add increases noise, then I just reduce noise within the same side panel.

However, I'm curious what the difference in using Detail Enhancement for sharpening and some of the other methods like Unsharp Mask, High Pass, Clarity?

I already watched the sharpening tutorial video, but it doesn't touch on why you'd use the latter methods over using Detail Enhancement within the develop persona. 

Which situations would you want to use any particular method?

This article is old, but the principles are still the same for photo sharpening.

http://creativepro.com/out-gamut-almost-everything-you-wanted-know-about-sharpening-photoshop-were-afraid-ask/

ETA Here is the subsequent article--link from the comments of the article referenced above: http://creativepro.com/out-gamut-a-two-pass-approach-sharpening-photoshop/

This article is old, but the principles are still the same for photo sharpening.

http://creativepro.com/out-gamut-almost-everything-you-wanted-know-about-sharpening-photoshop-were-afraid-ask/

ETA Here is the subsequent article--link from the comments of the article referenced above: http://creativepro.com/out-gamut-a-two-pass-approach-sharpening-photoshop/

Thanks for the article, but I'm already very familiar with Photoshops's unsharp mask AND smart sharpening. Been using PS since version 2 many moons ago. 

What I don't know is how Affinity's Detail Enhancement in the Develop Persona is different and when/how it should be used instead of the traditional unsharp/smart sharp PS methods. I just tossed the "clarity" and "high pass" options in to make this a more general "sharpening" question, so I can see how you'd think that article might be helpful.

However, Affinity is using what appears to be a different method in their "Detail Enhancement" that I've used, but don't know how it differs from the other methods.

Gotcha, skiphunt.

Are you asking about "Detail Refinement" in the develop persona? To me it looks like an unsharp mask.

Yeah, I'm very new to AP, but I've been through all the videos now and starting to force myself to use it instead of PS. In PS, I mostly use Smart Sharpening. As I'm beginning in AP, I've been using the Detail Enhancement in the develop persona... then cleaning up noise if needed while I'm there. Works fine, but I'm wondering why or why not it may be better to use AP Unsharp Mask, or Clarity, or High Pass instead.

My impression is that it is a quick way to get some punch out of a raw image before converting it to something like a tiff or native AF file. It reminds me of the sharpening control in Camera Raw. In that sense, I don't see it as being any better than the pixel based unsharp mask, but just convenient if you have raw in your workflow.

However, I'm curious what the difference in using Detail Enhancement for sharpening and some of the other methods like Unsharp Mask, High Pass, Clarity?

I'm also curious to know if there is any difference between Detail Enhancement and Unsharp mask.

So far I have assumed there is no difference since there is no other sharpening panel in the Develop Persona.

Hope the Serif guys can comment on this!