You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Every first time I open Affinity Photo it shows me that 4 files can be recovered?!

Hi,

If I open Affinity Photo the first time after starting my computer, he tolds me that there are 4 files that can be recoverd.

It doesn't matter if I say no or yes and save the files restored in that case, the next time I start it for the first time, the same message appears.

affinity-photo-recover.jpg.310ff753b1de7eb63b758f032064f1f0.jpg

I have already emptied the directory C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\autosave, but that does not help either.

What else can be the reason for this?
I am a bit disturbed by the message.

Empty the directory C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\autosave then run APhoto again

If you get the message don't click yes or no but look in File Explorer to see if there are now files there

If so, what is the file modified dates on those files?

Alternatively, just upload a screenshot of that directory (if not empty)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

10 hours ago, Arne Drews said:

If I open Affinity Photo the first time after starting my computer, he tolds me that there are 4 files that can be recoverd.

It doesn't matter if I say no or yes and save the files restored in that case, the next time I start it for the first time, the same message appears.

Try doing a Clear User Data startup of Affinity Photo. Hold down the Control Key (and keep holding it down until you see the Clear User Data screen) and start Photo. Check the second item in the list alone and hit Clear.

428437448_ScreenShot2022-09-22at9_24_40AM.png.0bd761462ea10025472eae0da54aa6ac.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

So today I'm starting my computer an open photo, the well known and expected message appears. In the folder are 4 files dated at july, 11th 2022.

image.png.057427cae61afd0b41b271a495ab6ad5.png

After clicking No the folder is cleared again and no message comes by starting photo again and again. Since tomorrow morning 😉

@Old Bruce

Thanks for the tipp, I try this and reboot my computer to see how it effects the issue.

EDIT: Tried, but still the same issue. Same files will be restored. 😒

Edited by Arne Drews
tried solution proposal

3 hours ago, Arne Drews said:

EDIT: Tried, but still the same issue. Same files will be restored. 😒

Delete the autosave files via Explorer!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Also, in APhoto make sure this is not enabled...

Edit > Preferences > General

Reopen document on startup

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, v_kyr said:

Delete the autosave files via Explorer!

Was the first thing I did 😉

On 9/22/2022 at 7:25 AM, Arne Drews said:

I have already emptied the directory C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\autosave, but that does not help either.

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

Also, in APhoto make sure this is not enabled...

was and still is unabled. 

Does Windows have an OS preference which will Reopen the last documents or Restore the open windows when you start up the application? Here on Mac it is called "Close Windows when quitting an app" in the General section of the OS Preferences.

1459118672_ScreenShot2022-09-23at6_51_37AM.png.04c882cd09ddf27e218c4f2e1661ff28.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

27 minutes ago, Lee D said:

Also do you have any backup software running, just in case?

This is something that can get you, particularly if you're syncing between folder pairs. I had the same situation with LibreOffice -- Every time I opened Calc it said I had files to recover. Turns out there were some ~*.ods files on the NAS that were getting synced back to my hard drive each night. Something to be aware of.

Len
Affinity Photo 2 | QCAD 3 | FastStone | SpyderX Pro | FOSS:  ART darktable  XnView  RawTherapee  Inkscape  G'MIC  LibreOffice
Windows 11 on a 16 GB, Ryzen 5700 8-core laptop with a cheesy little embedded AMD GPU

Canon T8i / 850D | Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM | Canon EF 70-200mm F4 L USM | Rikenon P 50mm f/1.7 | K&F Concept Nano-X filters
...desperately looking for landscapes in Nolandscapeland        https://www.flickr.com/photos/14015058@N07/

18 hours ago, lphilpot said:

Turns out there were some ~*.ods files on the NAS that were getting synced back to my hard drive each night.

That can be the problem, I think. I didn't do backups myself on that computer, but we're using redirected folders, where the files might be synched again from every new logon.

Thanks for the tipp, I've a look on monday.