You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Add Pages to Document results in garbage

I have made all my chapters for my book as separate documents (because that's what was required of me in my previous software, and I didn't check), and now I want to merge them.

Use Add Page from File - perfect.

However, when I attempt this the result could out as garbage. Despite me specifying that I want to add all 9 pages from chapter 2 it inserts two blank text frames as the first page, applies the second master, and an illustration, but the text begins on the next page, "pushing" all the other text one page forward, meaning that the last page's text is missing.

Is this related to the "Begin document at right page"-bug?

How do I affect a clean addition of pages into my document so that I can merge my chapters together?

I have uploaded two files, and replaced all the text in them with filler.

In order to replicate what I was seeing you open file 1, then Add pages from file, select file 2, select range 2-10 (not the first page, since it is should not be included), insert it after page 5 of document 1, and watch the combined thing turn into a mess.

Thanks for taking the time to help. It is very appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Did you ever get a resolution to this?

I'm experiencing similar problems with APub v2.0.3 (Windows).

Document A is divided into Sections using Section Manager..
The master page for the document has a page number field at the bottom and a frame at the top of the page in which the section name is inserted using the section name from the References/Fields panel.
 There is a 1 page section in the middle of document A named "Placeholder" - name appears in feame at top of page.

A second document has the same master page layout. 
It consists of 1 section named "Inserted Article".

Open the first document and select Document-> Add Pages from File then specify the second document as the source of the pages to be added.
Specify that the section "Inserted Article" from the second document is to replace "Placeholder" section in first document.

Result is that pages from second document at are inserted, but:

Page numbering is not automatically adjusted (OK that ca be fixed using Section Manager...)

The heading frame on the first inserted page (where the section name is inserted) is empty - the frame exists (seen in layers panel) but the section name doesn't appear in it; the correct section name appears on the next 2 pages of the inserted section, bit not bon the last where it retains the "Plac3holder" section name. Then the "Placeholder" section name frame appears on top of the section name frame of the page following the inserted article overlapping the original document's section name frame...

So it seems that while Section Manager allows the splitting od documents into namewd sextions, the ability to insert sections into other documents is something of a challenge.

Would be good to see this workflow operating 

I did NOT get this resolved, and as I didn't hear back from DWright at all, not even with a "sorry, didn't have time" I abandoned the idea, and instead matched pagenumbers, and joined the files post-export, so that using a PDF slicer/merger I can make a document out of the disparate pieces made in Affinity Publisher.

I have not tried it since upgrading to v2 either, but it seems that you have run into this problem for me, so I might not need to bother.

It is a shame it does not work - it would have been handy if the function did what we'd like it to do.

Sorry to hear you're having no luck.

I wonder if it's anything like the problem I hae, I seem to have hit a wall.

I want to add pages / chapters to a book. Some work okay, but other pages will have their page numbers on the wrong side at the bottom of the page. I've fiddled around with the 'Stray Pages' / 'Merge where possible' commands, which seem somewhat relevant, but without luck. Wonder if anyone has any ideas where I'm going wrong? Thanks.

• 1 month later...